VirtualMIDISynth 2.x alpha available for testing

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha13 released
coolsoft wrote:

I'm all ears for new ideas ;)

My 1st simple thought (this should do the trick) is to give you a remote access to my machine.

It's a clean, empty machine so no big deal. ;-)

I have more ideas, but 1st I need to do a complete fresh OS installation just to be sure of something for 100%

I'm just busy/lazy ATM, but I'll do for sure. :D

Waiting on your mail 1st...

Speaking of new ideas, it would be cool if you could maybe add a feature that is like the BASSMIDI tester.

supergod wrote:

My 1st simple thought (this should do the trick) is to give you a remote access to my machine.
I have more ideas, but 1st I need to do a complete fresh OS installation just to be sure of something for 100%

That's a good idea; my testing machine is a fresh installed (and updated) Win8.1 Pro x64 VirtualBox virtual machine.
No installed devices but VirtualBox ones and, of course, VMS 2.x.
Remote debugging through internet could be a nightmare and it needs direct IP access to the remote machine; this cannot be done with TeamViewer & C.
Let's use it as a last chance.

Alphonse wrote:
Speaking of new ideas, it would be cool if you could maybe add a feature that is like the BASSMIDI tester.

Could you please elaborate on this?
Googling for "BASSMIDI tester" gave nothing clear.

coolsoft wrote:

BASSMIDI tester is an executable that you can find on bassmidi24.zip, on the un4seen website.

It's called "miditest.exe"

Talking about VMS, I have an idea about it.

Most people uses big soundfonts combined with others (Like the Musyng Kite with my KSP or with Z-Doc Grand Piano etc), and I noticed that on a friend's PC, VMS shows a blank window if you exceed the 2GB limit (Since it's a 32-bit program), or it doesn't even load some samples.

So, why you don't make a 64-bit version too? You can organize it in this way.

32-bit version:
PCs with 2GB of memory, but using a 64-bit CPU with a 64-bit Windows installation
PCs with more than 2GB of memory, but using a 32-bit/64-bit CPU with a 32-bit Windows installation

64-bit version:
PCs with more than 2GB of memory, and using a 64-bit CPU with a 64-bit Windows installation

In this way, since most people are using 64-bit installations, can avoid this "blank window" problem.

(I tried to allocate more than 2GB of samples, that's what I got. Using Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 with the XP theme xD: http://i.imgur.com/QwxN6NR.png)

coolsoft wrote:

Remote debugging through internet could be a nightmare and it needs direct IP access to the remote machine; this cannot be done with TeamViewer & C.
Let's use it as a last chance.

Hehe, direct, optical fiber connection + hardware video acceleration on my side is not a problem. ;-)

I realy want to see this fixed, but I understand that you can't fix something if you can't reproduce.

That's why I step up with this idea.

Now speaking about OS reinstallation...

I know it's pointless, I just know my hardware + I have quite fresh windows installation + I'm always doing a rollbacks, as you know.

Fresh windows installation is just for fun and to "cover all the bases"

It's realy funny to see a VMS playing with unticked all SF banks.

You have to agree with me. :P

KaleidonKep99 wrote:
coolsoft wrote:

BASSMIDI tester is an executable that you can find on bassmidi24.zip, on the un4seen website.

It's called "miditest.exe"

To elaborate on that, MIDITest.exe is a simple and lightweight MIDI Player that is very closely integrated with bass.dll and bassmidi.dll that is designed to test out the performance of bassmidi.dll.  The version of miditest.exe KaleidonKep99 was talking about (bassmidi24.zip) actually contains an outdated version of miditest.exe, which has a polyphony limit of 100.  A more up-to-date version of miditest.exe can be found here which has a polyphony limit of 500 and BASS_CPU limit of 80%, as well as debug information showing the realtime voice count and BASS_CPU usage reading.

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

I have a couple of ideas, as follows:

- Perhaps mainly as an experimental option, add an "Advanced options" option to toggle BASS_ATTRIB_MIDI_CPU limit on/off and allow a custom number to be put in there

- I don't know if sinc interpolation is being used or not by default, but if it does include a checkbox option to toggle it on or off for performance sake

- Have a semi-hidden option (either as a menu item or advanced option setting) that could toggle a real-time readout of technical realtime information, such as a voice counter and MIDI_CPU usage reading

- Include an option for toggling the current "Release previous instances of overlapping notes" behavior on/off.

I think I remember with an old version of VMS it used to default to not drop previous instances of overlapping notes, but I don't know if that was your change or due to a change of the bassmidi.dll libraries.  Here's an {Example} of what I mean, this could very well possibly relate to the BASS_MIDI_NOTEOFF1 flag.

Also, Alpha13 still has that bug where the synth suddenly "gives up" upon every few encounters of sudden note spam.  I heard someone else say that version 1.13.2 could be experiencing this bug too, but I haven't had the time to test on that version to confirm yet.

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

KaleidonKep99 wrote:
So, why you don't make a 64-bit version too?

Actually the driver already has 2 versions, x86 and x64.
Unlike VMS1, VMS2 drivers are lightweight and not linked to BASS libs; the only component linked to BASS is the synth that, actually, is x86.
So the setup only contains the x86 version of BASS.

My initial VMS2 thought was to drop the x86 synth version completely and replace it with an x64 one.
Driver will still have both x86 and x64 versions, both communicating with the same x64 synth.

Let's see the different options (dual driver version requirement is actually unavoidable because most MIDI software is still x86):

x86 synth, x86+x64 drivers (current)

• VMS2 will still run on every system, from XP to Win8, both x86 and x64
  • can be used by x86 and x64 MIDI programs
  • easier to mantain/test/debug
  • has SF memory limit

x64 synth, x86+x64 drivers:

• still a single version of the synth to mantain/debug
  • no SF memory limit
  • can still be used by x86 and x64 MIDI programs

x86+x64 synths, x86+x64 drivers:

• the number of components to mantain/test/debug will raise to 4: 2 drivers + 2 synths
  • must include both BASS dll versions to setup

As you can see, making 2 versions of the synth has some drawbacks I'd like to avoid; most of all I'm worrying about testing all of the x86-x64 combinations.

Anyway, nothing is still decided; I'd like to have some feedback from users... but I think most of them will came here when we'll reach the first beta.
I still have a couple of features to add to alpha, then we'll enter the beta stage.

supergod wrote:
Hehe, direct, optical fiber connection + hardware video acceleration on my side is not a problem. ;-)

It's not just about speed, it's the requirement of a public IP address (or at least natting VisualStudio debugger port to your PC).
And, again, timezone differences...

supergod wrote:
It's realy funny to see a VMS playing with unticked all SF banks.
You have to agree with me. :P

I really agree and, looking at source code, I still wonder how it could happen... ;)

Ray890 wrote:
BASSMIDI tester is an executable that you can find on bassmidi24.zip, on the un4seen website. It's called "miditest.exe"

OK, now I got it; I saw it when I was learning how to use BASS libs.

As for your suggestions: all of them should not be hard to implement,  so I added them to TODO list.
Latest alpha already has a "status box" (into About tab dialog), but it currently does not show anything interesting (and also does not update automatically). Will improve it.

BASS_MIDI_NOTEOFF1 was never managed by VMS, but adding a dedicated option should not be so difficult.

Pages