"No soundfont loaded/enabled" message

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

"No soundfont loaded/enabled" message

Everytime I start my Midi program I get this:

I have sound fonts:

I tried toggling them on and off and also tried changing preloading of the SoundFonts but keep getting the message.

It works OK after dismissing the message box.

(First post...I don't see the images....here are direct links)

http://i.imgur.com/3iczqyn.png
http://i.imgur.com/gfAcjTg.png

Re: "No soundfont loaded/enabled" message

That message is shown when no soundfont is available (or enabled), but if you say that everything works after dismissing it well... that's strange.

This is what you should check:

• Open VirtualMIDISynth configurator alone (without anything playing) through the start menu link: can you see at least one enabled soundfont? If not, please add/enable at least one, then press OK and reopen the configurator again to check if the setting has been saved.
  • Open file C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf or C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf and look at the [SoundFonts] section with some items in it named sf1, sf2, ...
    Disabled items start with an *.
    Check if there's at least one enabled item there.
  • Check if there's something preventing the driver to load the SF2 files, or move them to a surely readable location like your desktop folder.
  • Open VirtualMIDISynth configurator alone (without anything playing) through the start menu link: can you see at least one enabled soundfont? If not, please add/enable at least one, then press OK and reopen the configurator again to check if the setting has been saved.

It worked fine.  No error messages.   I tried all checking and unchecking the Soundfonts.  Even with none checked, it started fine.

• Open file C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf or C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf and look at the [SoundFonts] section with some items in it named sf1, sf2, ...

My conf file was here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf

[SoundFonts]
sf1=C:\Save\Drivers\SoundBlaster\4GMGSMT.SF2
sf2=C:\Windows\System32\CT2MGM.SF2

• Check if there's something preventing the driver to load the SF2 files, or move them to a surely readable location like your desktop folder.

I tried this: sf1=C:\Temp\4GMGSMT.SF2  and it worked.

What is really odd is that BOTH the other directories cause the error message.  They used to work fine.

Well, sometimes Windows development is like coin flipping: too much variables.
Maybe you have something like antivirus, antimalware, security software that prevents those locations from being accessed.

Having the file in the temp directory is now causing the same problem.

I am going assume it is the MIDI software:  Record Producer Deluxe.   Turtle Beach bought it and suppport was pulled years ago and with each new edition of Windows it gets flakier.  I've searched years for a replacement but nothing else comes close.   I'll guess I'll just keep limping on.

Thanks for your time.

Maybe next VirtualMIDISynth 2.x version will work better.
In 2.x the driver (the part of VMS loaded by client MIDI app) is really minimal, has no need to access soundfont files and communicates to the synth (a new component) through a fast IPC channel.

You can read more here, maybe it worths a try (remember it's in alpha stage).

Anonymous user

Hi coolsoft,

I just dont know how will I do this, I am suffering the same problem and I did a lot or different Troubleshooting steps but still having a problem of the error, I hope you could help me with this... thank you so much

@Jeffrey: move your soundfonts to another folder (i.e. on your Documents folder) and add them to VirtualMIDISynth from there.
Maybe you have some security software preventing you to access current SF2 folder.

coolsoft wrote:

@Jeffrey: move your soundfonts to another folder (i.e. on your Documents folder) and add them to VirtualMIDISynth from there.
Maybe you have some security software preventing you to access current SF2 folder.

Open file C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf (or C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf) and look at the [SoundFonts] section with some items in it named sf1, sf2, ...

Hello,
I have the same problem but there is another message box I get before the one shown in the first post. It says:

drv.error.sf_load

I get that message box for every soundfont that should be loaded.
No solutions posted here have any effect.
Version 1.10.1 was the last one I used and it worked fine.

Pages