VMS 1.15.2 setup fails at installing the x64 synth on XP SP2 x64

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
VMS 1.15.2 setup fails at installing the x64 synth on XP SP2 x64

I noticed that the setup tries to write the x64 synth files to SysNative, under Windows XP x64.

This is an incorrect behavior, since "SysNative" has been introduced with Windows Vista, and not with Windows XP.

This causes the setup to fail to install the x64 synth files, causing other x64 MIDI programs to not detect the synth.

This can be fixed by moving the "VirtualMIDISynth" from the Windows Vista/7 x64 "System32" folder to the XP x64 one.

Re: VMS 1.15.2 setup fails at installing the x64 synth on XP SP2 x64

There's an hotfix available here, targeting Windows XP x64 and Windows Server 2003:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942589

I think that an official fix is way better than a workaround to the setup, because it will "fix" all the system and not only this specific case.

If you could confirm it works (I don't have WinXP-x64 available to test) I'll change the setup to check if the hotfix is installed before proceeding with VMS installation.

coolsoft wrote:

If you could confirm it works (I don't have WinXP-x64 available to test) I'll change the setup to check if the hotfix is installed before proceeding with VMS installation.

Yes, I found that while searching for "SysNative under Windows XP" on Google.

It is now installed, but the setup still doesn't want to place the files on System32, it still creates a folder called "SysNative" in the Windows folder.

Ok, I've installed the update again.

It works now!

Seems like Windows XP doesn't install updates when you restart the computer.
You're literally FORCED to shut it down.

Thanks for reporting it.

Now I should find a way to detect the presence of this hotfix (other than reading the version of replaced system files)...