VirtualMIDISynth #1 out port failure

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: VirtualMIDISynth #1 out port failure

I looked in the VMS 'About' before runing NWC for the first time today and here is the full report of my findings:

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) (10.0.14393)

VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-rc2 (x64)

Memory (MB): total 8085, free 5659 (70%)

Available devices: 1

* VirtualMIDISynth #1:

Active voices: 0

Rendering time: 0%

Update rate (ms): 0

After running NWC and playing a short section of a work, I rechecked the 'About' and the only change was that the Update rate had incresed to 10ms.

Johnno

That's as expected.
Now look at the same page when the bug reappears.

I mean: when you're forced to reboot your system, look at the About tab and check which process is shown as locking the device.
Export a debug file of that situation using the button in the same About page, then try to kill the locking process using Windows Task Manager.

This should free the device without rebooting the whole system.

Finally post the debug file here.

Sorry, I meant to add that I would do just that but I got distracted. Actually, when the problem reappears, I expect to see references that I have sent you in the past on at least one occasion and I remember you commented on them then. I was running NWC a short while ago and all was well.

Johnno

Anonymous user

I am not sure if this is related, but more recently, I get the Outport failure if I open Noteworthy Composer without first having opened Virtual Midi Synth and approved changes to my device ala Windows 10 UAC. The VMS auto open at logon option does not appear to work in VMS, probably because of the modified security settings in Windows 10 that require express approval unless or to the extent UAC protections are reduced or approval is granted to a particular program (such as VMS) to run in elevated mode.

VMS does not require elevated mode to run, so it should automatically run at startup as it did in Win7+.

Auto startup is done by adding VirtualMIDISynth key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, please check if that key is present or not.

Thanks for the tip. Will check the registry. During the course of troubleshooting, I eventually uninstalled and then reinstalled Noteworthy Composer through its 2.51 releases. Problem went away, so it may have been a Noteworthy Composer update issue (2.75 or 2.75 a.2) for any folks who use that program.

Pages