MIDI Soundfonts

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
MIDI Soundfonts

I just downloaded your VirtualMidiSynth program for my PianoSuite program assuming it would run right out of the box. No so. Apparently, one must separately download soundfonts as well? What up? Is this done through the existing program (perhaps as an option) or does one just pick one of your suggested options and go? If so, once done, what are the next steps?

I already thought about

I already thought about including an SF2 file into VirtualMIDISynth, but a good soundfont is 20Mb (at least).
Actually VMS setup is about 2Mb, so this will increase setup file size a lot.
Consider that VMS is downloaded about 500 times a day... and my only income are ads and donations (and I won't be rich with them ;)).

Including a download option into setup is not possible, because their web addresses could change unexpectedly (I do not host soundfont files).

That said, after downloading VMS you must download a SF2 of your choice.
I suggest you ChoriumRevA (listed above): it's a good quality one and easy to extract (it's a RAR archive, can be opened with WinRAR or 7-Zip).
Download that RAR file, extract the contained SF2 file to a position of your choice (say Documents), then open VirtualMIDISynth configurator --> Soundfonts tab --> + button --> select the soundfont file --> ready to play.

When you'll be more skilled you can try the other ones, which are usually sfArk packed, so you need to unpack them.
My preferred one is FluidR3_GM.

Anonymous user
Sound Fonts

Thank you for your reply -- I really didn't expect to hear back so soon. Let me sift through the information you provided and see if I can get things up and running. You mention WinRAR and 7-Zip -- I assume these are free unzipping downloads?? I'll check them out, too.

I'll come back to you later to give you some feedback. Thanks again!

Yes they are.

Yes they are.

WinRAR will only manage RAR archives, while 7-Zip can uncompress a lot more archive types: 7z, zip, rar, tar.gz, tar.bz2, cab...
And it's free and open source.

WinRAR Supported File Types.

Supported File Types. WinRAR handles these compression formats: RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, ACE, TAR, GZip, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7-Zip and Z.

EDIT: fixed supported formats.

Haven't used it for ages,

Haven't used it for ages, since I think 7z is more efficient.
Thanks for the clarification.