Program ignores 'never' selection for scanning for updates

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Program ignores 'never' selection for scanning for updates

Hello,

I use this software solely to import a soundbank file for project1999.com to load an AWE32 dump of original game music.  In the past, updates to the software have caused the game to suddenly quit using the sound bank and I have to end up reinstalling with a previous version until the next version comes out.  It's not a frequent problem but because the updates seem to be causing this and I really don't have a practical reason to update otherwise (the situation in which it's used never changes), I decided to set the program to never check for updates.

It just started notifying me again that there's a new update and I double-checked that I have 'never' selected for checking for updates.  It's irritating since now that it's found a new update it's going to pop that message up indefinitely each time I reboot until I actually do apply it.  Should that setting of 'never' theoretically be keeping those pop-ups from displaying?

Posting it in 'bugs' since this seems like a pretty black-and-white feature, I can't imagine what else its function would  serve.

- Drew

Re: Program ignores 'never' selection for scanning for updates

Actually if an update has been found (but not yet installed), its version is stored and the whole check-new-version activities are skipped (because it already know that there's something new to install). Never setting will only skip the check but not the notification.

After reading your description (and use case) I agree that never should skip everything, not only the check task.
Will fix it in next version (this is a reason to update :)).

Meanwhile you can reset the updated status:

• close VirtualMIDISynth
  • open VirtualMIDISynth.conf file with a text editor (you'll find it in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth folder for VMS1, in C:\Program files\VirtualMIDISynth for VMS2)
  • remove (or comment by prepending them with a semicolon) the items LastCheck, LastVersionFound and LastVersionURL
  • restart VirtualMIDISynth

Please confirm if the workaround works...

Anonymous user

I also encountered this issue. I have check for updates set to 'never', but I got a notification for 2.0.1.0.
After I updated but didn't reboot, the software notifies me every time it starts for new version.
I tried removing the LastCheck, LastVersionFound and LastVersionURL from VirtualMIDISynth.conf but it just came back. Removing the other lines just empty "LastCheck=" and "LastNotify=" lines back in the conf file, and notifications continue.
Blocking VirtualMIDISynth.exe in the Windows firewall stops the notifications.

Anonymous user

I ran into the same effect, simply commenting the lines out only causes the program to update the .conf file with new lines and continued notices.  However what did work was commenting out those lines and setting the .conf file to 'read only'.  Did that, restarted, and no notification pop-ups.

I'll keep an eye out for the updated release, thanks for responding so quickly!

The update is coming, stay tuned ;)