VirtualMidiSynth and MuseScore

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

VirtualMidiSynth and MuseScore

VirtualSynth + MuseScore does not work with new version 2.0 (Windows 8).

I had to back to VirtualSynth version 1.15.2 and got it to work again.

What am I doing? I write some notes with MuseScore, saves the file, closes MuseScore and playes it with MidiAndMusicXmlPlayer. And the same again. (So that MuseScore and VirtualSynth are not running at the same time.  MidiAndMusicXmlPlayer opens all synthesizers in order to be able to change sound while playing) . 

Who is to blame? The old version 1.15.2 seemed to initialise the interface when starting the player and opening the Midi-interface. Now restart of the computer is needed. Since the problem appeared with VirtualSynth 2.0, I think VirtualSynth is to blame somehow. However it works until MuseScore starts. So MuseScore distroys something when starting.

Message(Translated): "Error opening MIDI-stream. Error code: 4. BASS_ERROR_BUFLOST: The sample buffer was lost."

What happened to VirtualSynth that can explain this behavior?

/Moge

Re: VirtualMidiSynth and MuseScore

Don't know if this is related to Win8, sorry I don't have a Win8 system to test it on.

I'm working on a version that removes the single-client-per-device limit, allowing more tahn one MIDI client to use the same VMS device.
Maybe this could help you and avoid the need to close one software to open the other one.

Meanwhile I have two suggestions:

• configure VMS to have 2 virtual devices: VirtualMIDSynth #1 and VirtualMIDSynth #2 then connect MuseScore to #1 and MidiAndMusicXmlPlayer to #2.
    This way you could use them together.
  • instead of rebooting, have tried to forcibly close all of the MIDI processes (MuseScore, MidiAndMusicXmlPlayer and VMS) with TaskManager?

I am so sorry for the late answer - just thought that I would be notified but ... Thanks for the answer.

1. Closing VirtualMidiSynth with Taskmanager and restarting it, makes MidiAndMusicXmlPlayer work againg.

2. Two devices does not solve the problem - all devices stop when activating MuseScore (and I cannot see anyway to let MuseScore use only one). Also I note that "Windows Media Player" gives same error message as when starting "MidiAndMusicXmlPlayer".

Conclusion: I must continue with VirtualMidiSynth 1.15.2. But MuseScore is to blame for this - seems to occupy the whole MIDI-interface and not free it. 
Still my question is: How could VirtualMidiSynth 1.15.2 succeed in initialising the interface and not 2.0.1?

/Moge

You can give a try to version 2.1-RC: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/forum/thread/528

It adds experimental support to multiple client per device.

Thank for the answers.

No it didn't help using Version 2.1 . My guess is: due to the addition of multiple devices the initialisation has been moved. In 1.15.2 the interface was initialised every time a player was started. This cannot be done with multiple devices.

A solution could be: when the error occurs and only one device is in use then initialise the interface. If the error persist, then show error message else not.

/Mogens.

PS: Need to write to MuseScore.

Mogens Lundholm wrote:
How could VirtualMidiSynth 1.15.2 succeed in initialising the interface and not 2.0.1?

1.x was an in-process DLL, so each MIDI client had its "own set" of VMS devices, separated from the others.
2.x is an out-of-process, so devices are shared among all of the MIDI clients. This gives a lot of pros and - sadly - some cons.

Need to be able to reproduce it on my side... will try again ASAP.

The software (the stable version Musescore 2.1 used at the moment) does not have direct external MIDI out support.
A connection with JACK is possible. If there is a problem, it must be related to JACK.

The development version of the software (MuseScore 3.0) has an external midi out support.

However, the release date of this future development release is not certain. Because it is not yet suited to the everyday use of the end user.

Ziya Mete Demircan wrote:
A connection with JACK is possible. If there is a problem, it must be related to JACK.

I didn't know this, thanks for pointing it out.
Sadly this adds some other troubles to my "debugging" since I don't know MuseScore and I also have a really basic knowledge of JACK.
Maybe it worths a try posting an issue on MuseScore GitHub page...

After a discussion on the MuseScore forum I installed VirtualMidiSynth and MuseScore on a WIN10 machine and noticed that there was no problem. 

From today's nightly (2.2 unstable) version, MuseScore supports MIDI output.
I tested it with VMS 2.0.1, it works

Pages