Conflict with MUNT

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Conflict with MUNT

Hi there, I've been using VirtualMIDISynth since I first found it last year and I love it (I'm also always recommending it to others). I mostly use it to beef up the music of old video games. However, recently I also started using MUNT for some games which were mainly designed for Roland MT-32 hardware and switch between VirtualMIDISynth and MUNT quite often - actually VirtualMIDISynth would be perfect to manage that one too since Windows Vista/7 doesn't allow you to easily change the default MIDI device and your tool does it perfectly (it's much more convenient than any other tool I've found for this). However, there is one problem: Both MUNT and VirtualMIDISynth automatically use the same registry key (midi1), installing one of them will always overwrite the other (and I guess this may also happen with other MIDI devices that use that key). So the only way to use both is to manually move the MIDI device that was installed first to midi2 or another key (which is both awkward and kinda dirty since uninstalling MUNT or VirtualMIDISynth will probably reset the wrong registry key). I'm wondering whether you could make your installer check whether midi1 (or any other key) is being used by another MIDI device already and make VirtualMIDISynth use one which is still free (one with the value "wdmaud.drv"). This would make it much easier to use VirtualMIDISynth together with other MIDI devices and as a management tool for multiple MIDI devices.

Btw, I think this problem didn't occur on Windows XP, it seems that there I could install both MUNT and VirtualMIDISynth without the other one being overwritten although I'm not completely sure.

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

I considered this case on preparing VirtualMIDISynth setup, and it (should) already work the way you suggested.
I tested it on my side successfully.

Please follow these steps to check what's wrong:

1. uninstall both VirtualMIDISynth and MUNT
  2. check that registry key is cleaned OK (no traces of VirtualMIDISynth nor MUNT DLLs)
  3. first install MUNT (it should install on midi1 key)
  4. now VirtualMIDISynth (it should install on midi2 key)

If registry MIDI key it's not like this please let me know, otherwise let's do a countercheck.
Redo the same steps from the beginning but swap steps 3 and 4 (I mean install MUNT as last device).

Checked

Hi there, I finally did the tests you asked me to do. I must admit that I made a mistake earlier (I must have gotten confused because I had trouble figuring out why MUNT can't be installed and things got a little messy).

You were right: VirtualMIDISynth did automatically choose midi2 when midi1 was already taken by MUNT.

Sadly the MUNT installer is not quite as clever. It seems to always choose midi1 and report an error if it's not empty or set to wdmaud.drv. Earlier versions report that the installer is unable edit the registry, the current version (1.2.0) reports that there is no free MIDI slot.

So obviously you did everything right, the only thing you could do to increase compatibility with other MIDI devices is automatically skip midi1 and always choose a higher one but that's hardly the right thing to do, it's the MUNT guys who have to rework their installer. I will see whether I can somehow report this to them and suggest the necessary changes for the next release. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your tests, and

Thanks for your tests, and thanks also for reporting them back here.
I'm glad it's all working right on my side; as you said, skipping midi1 and searching a free slot from midi2 is not a good idea.

I hope MUNT guys can fix their installer easily and make it more "clever".
Feel free to link this discussion if it could help making your request clearer.