VirtualMidiSynth failed to open (Noteworthy Composer)

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

VirtualMidiSynth failed to open (Noteworthy Composer)

I am using Noteworthy Composer. After upgrading to the latest version of VirtualMIDISynth, I've run into the following problem: When I start NWC, I get the notification that "The following play devices failed to open properly: Virtual MIDISynth #1.  This problem must be corrected before proceeding."

I have it configured as I did in the past, so not sure what the problem is. Any ideas anyone?

Re: VirtualMidiSynth failed to open

I've tested version 2.75 trial on my side and it works without issues.

Please follow the steps I've wrote here to another user to check if something went wrong during the upgrade.

If it still does not work, could you please check if the trial version has the same issue as the full one?

Anonymous user

I'm having the same problem here. The "failed to open properly" message kept coming up, and I just clicked around and it started working. So, no idea what's going on there.

My new problem is that I'll leave the application open overnight, come back, and there will simply be no sound. I can close and reopen NWC, which always used to work before the update (same issue happened even before VirtualMIDISynth). Now, even after restarting NWC there is no sound. The only thing that has worked is rebooting the computer.

I finally gave up. Only one person had tried to offer any solutions, but nothing worked. So no longer using VirtualMidiSynth, which is unfortunate, because I really liked it.

Sorry to hear that.

Meanwhile version 2.1-rc was released, with a quick fix for that.

Have a look here: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/forum/thread/528

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I downloaded that version, and for now, it is working, which is great. But to be fair, previous versions worked for a while, and then stopped, sometimes after a newer version was installed. By the way, as soon as I installed this RC version, it notified me that a newer version was available (!) but I didn't download that one. Should I, or should I stick with this for now?

Bill C wrote:
as soon as I installed this RC version, it notified me that a newer version was available (!) but I didn't download that one

That's because RC version number is a "little tricky" and it detecs it being different with the "official" one.
Once you've installed you're supposed to subscribe to the dedicated forum thread.
Anyway I'll try to fix it in the future, thanks for reporting it.

Hi there!
I'm an old choir-member (68) from Sweden.
To compensate for my old age and bad memory i use an old version of NWC to learn the songs.
The sound hasn't been too good until I saw that there was a possibility to use sondfonts for my midi applications (I used Soundblaster soundcard many years ago). I have installed CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth, CoolSoft MIDIMapper and the soundfont you recomended and I got a great sound. But the joy did'nt last very long. I recently installed Windsows 10 Creators update and now I can't choose anything else than Microsoft GS Wavetable synth in CoolSoft MIDIMapper.
Have anyone else the same problem?
Anyway it's nice of you to share your great work whith us music-lovers.
Best regard

It looks like you have to uninstall VirtualMidiSynth and install it again. Works like a charm for me again.

Maybe because Windows Creaters Update seems to be a whole new intallation of windows (not an update).

Thanks again for the program.

Pages