Error -1 while opening MIDi stream

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Error -1 while opening MIDi stream

Hi :)

Very nice software you have here.

I've just done a fresh install of windows 7 and I've put V-MIDI-S on so I can beef up my DOSBox games. Unfortunately, everytime I start DOSBox, I get a "Error -1 while opening MIDi stream" message appearing and the Soundfont file doesn't play. I typed "mixer /listmidi" in DOSBox can it see "Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth" device at 0.

Can you help me with this please? Google comes up with nothing :(

Thank you!

That's really strange and,

That's really strange and, sadly, "error -1" means UNKNOWN_ERROR.

This is my checklist; follow each step and check if it fixed the issue before going to the next one:

• Open VirtualMIDISynth configurator and change Advanced->Default output sample from 48000 to 44100
  • Under Options -> Output audio device choose your soundcard (and check if it's listed) instead of the default one
  • Try to disable Options -> Hardware mixing option
  • Rename file VirtualMIDISynth.conf (into C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth folder) to VirtualMIDISynth.conf.old
    This will let VirtualMIDISynth start with default configuration.
  • Upgrade sound card drivers to the latest available (avoid the ones bundled with windows and look for the latest on hardware producer official website)
Anonymous user
It fixed itself

Firstly, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been very busy.

Well it seems after updating Windows and attempting again to get this working, dosbox now picks up and plays the MIDI Soundfonts perfectly. I'm not entirely sure what I did to fix the problem but I won't complain about it.

Thanks again for this awesome tool :)