Windows 10 Virtual Midi synth installed but can't be seen

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Windows 10 Virtual Midi synth installed but can't be seen

I had a computer crash so got a new computer with Windows 10.  I did all the updates:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.309]

Sometimes my Midi applications can see Virtual Synth, other times not.

This shows Virtual Synth running but not seen by CoolSoft MidiMapper:

Attachments (Only registered users)
ScreenHunter 04.png
Re: Windows 10 Virtual Midi synth installed but can't be seen
Steve Wellens wrote:
This shows Virtual Synth running but not seen by CoolSoft MidiMapper

The two things are unrelated; I mean, there's no need to have VirtualMIDISynth.exe running for the VirtualMIDISynth devices to appear in available devices list.

Things to try:

• reinstall latest VMS version (you can reinstall it over the already installed one)
  • if this doesn't fix it, then uninstall VMS and follow the indications in the FAQ here to cleanup your system (VMS should cleanup everything after uninstall, but it's better to manually check)
  • reboot the system and reinstall again

If you still have issues, please post VMS Debug report (VirtualMIDISynth --> Configurator --> About tab --> Debug report...)

I followed the instructions for uninstalling and cleaning out the software and started over from scratch.

It's all working now.

It was a struggle to get MidiYoke installed the first time and that is what may have messed things up.  After starting over, Windows must have remembered the compatibility settings it needed for MidiYoke and it installed fine.

Thank You.

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope this thread will help others too ;)

Hello I have recently installed VirtualMidiSynth 2.9.3. When i started it first time VMS popped a window to ask if it should set the right  settings for midi. I said Yes and it all worked fine -  I was sable to see the VMS in my other software. All good.

But later VMS   disappears ( in the mean time I am using some midi related software and that software  may be resetting the registries (I have NOT done any Windows 10 updates since installing VMS. . I rebooted my W10 PC  and the popup came one and I said yes and all is good - I see VMS as an option in my other midi software.

After a while it again disappears!! Annoying to boot the PC every 20-30 minutes.

I like that VMS 2.9.3 checks to see of the registry setting are then on the first start after a boot but looks like you should check that on each start of VMS. Maybe VMS is running in background and that when I start it it is simply pops up the VMS GUI which soundfont, MIDI mapper etc tabs.  

Is there a way for me to fix the registry by a simple command? It would be good to include this command in your installation folder or better please include it a button on Main GUI page where you show the soundfont, midi etc tabs.

2 other questions not related to above:

Q1  I am running on windows 10 and have not used any Midimapping in the past. DO i need to run and use MidiMapper?

Q2 I am able to successfully use VMS with SF2 (except for the problem above) but it does not work with SFZ files - even though the SFZ was created with the same SF2 file (via Sforzando). After some digging around it appears that SFZs don't seem to preserve the bank and patch number (or perhaps Sforzando deleted them because VSTs don't need the?)

sanj

Please do not necropost (the original thread is 2018!).

Short answers before closing this:

sanjayradia wrote:
Hello I have recently installed VirtualMidiSynth 2.9.3

VirtualMIDISynth 2.9.3 is REALLY old, why did you install such an old version now? Have you by any chance downloaded it from a website other than this? (if so, please let me know which one and I'll ask them to remove it 😉).
Also, version 2.10.0 contains a fix to the same issue you're reporting (see version history log).
Last version is 2.13.8, please update to that.

sanjayradia wrote:
2 other questions not related to above:

As for the other questions, please start new separate threads 😉

My mistake - i did install from your site but must have made a mistake and installed an older version. BTW your website is full of GoogleAds with word “Download” that cover up part of your content. I will post the other questions as separate threads.

sanj