Issue with MIDI in RoadRash (game)

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Issue with MIDI in RoadRash (game)

Hi,

I used VirtualMIDI to run the in-game music of RoadRash (an old motorcycle racing game) to enable it to play with SoundBlaster style music. I have set the soundfont as OPL-3_FM_128M. During the start of a game, there is a MIDI error and despite the error  the level music is enabled. However on pressing the Esc key, the music must stop playing. Pressing Esc twice, it returns to the game menu. However, the music keeps on playing despite pressing the Esc key and it is persisting even after exiting the game and then I have to manually exit the VirtualMIDI application from taskbar to end the music.   My system info and other details are as follows:

Operating system version, including service pack and bitness (32 or 64 bit) : Windows 8.1 64 bit
    CPU type, RAM size: i5-2400 , 16 GB RAM 
    Sound card type: Realtek High Definition Audio
    VirtualMIDISynth version installed: 2.3.0
    MIDI Software and soundfont you're using to play: Sound Font is OPL-3_FM_128M

Can someone please let me know how to fix the issue? Thanks

Regards,
Joe

Re: Issue with MIDI in RoadRash (game)
stealthjoe wrote:
the music keeps on playing despite pressing the Esc key and it is persisting even after exiting the game and then I have to manually exit the VirtualMIDI application from taskbar to end the music.

When you write "the music keeps playing" I suppose you mean it keeps playing always the same notes, like if player got stuck/hung. Is that right?
If so, please try the latest 2.3.1-beta4 released on this other thread that fixes some issues in IPC watchdog.

If the bug persists, let's continue the discusion here.

Hi coolsoft,

The music keeps playing as usual after pressing the Esc key (ideally it should stop on pressing Esc) . The notes are not getting repeated nor does it sound like the music is stuck. After exiting the game, the music still persists and I have to manually close the VirtualMIDI application from taskbar to stop the music.

This is really strange, it seems that the game is still alive instead of closing itself cleanly.... and I wonder how is VMS able to keep it alive.

Please update to 2.3.2 (just released) and test it again.

If the bug persists, I need to reproduce it on my side.
Is that game freely available or is there a demo/trial available?
If yes, please test the demo/trial on your system and check if it have the same issue (I'd like to avoid installing software if it couldn't lead to any reproducible result).
If yes again, post the demo/trial/free version download link here and I'll have a look.