Error -1 while opening MIDI stream

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Error -1 while opening MIDI stream

Was working great and was happy with the sound fonts avail. Don't know what changed.

NOW, I am also getting this message: [Error -1 while opening MIDI stream]

I tried unsintalling many times and reinstalling.
Tried different sound fonts.
Tried older version 1.8.0.

I tried the recommendations in the thread...

My system:
Windows 7 64bit
Quad core 3.4, 8 GB Ram
Asus Xonar DX 7.1 (sound card)

PLEASE help!

Error -1

Sadly "error -1" means "Unknown error", so it'll be really difficult to find out what's wrong.

This user had the same error, it solved after a windows update:
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/comment/1829#comment-1829

Since it worked at least once, I suppose there's something wrong with the configuration.
To force VirtualMIDISynth start with default configuration:

• close any audio software
  • delete configuration file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.conf (or rename it)
  • start your MIDI player

If you still get the error, maybe something get messed with installed DLLs. Here's a quick troubleshooting list:

• uninstall Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth
  • check that both folders C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth were deleted otherwise delete them manually
  • install latest version
  • check that both folders C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth contain bass.dll, bassmidi.dll and VirtualMIDISynth.dll files (and others more...)

Waiting for your feedback...

Re: Error -1

I also had this problem.  Everthing worked well until I changed my Auzentech X-Fi card for a Xonar DX card (the Auzentech uses the same driver as my E-Mu 1212M cards, which limits my control over the Auzentech.  I can't plug my 5.1 speakers into the 1212M and there doesn't seem to be any adaptor box on the market).  Then I got that -1 error.  I thought it might have something to do with maybe the DX installs a Roland GM set.  I tried following all the steps above, no dice, but the error changed to an exception accessing bass.dll.  This made me think that the problem may be one of those silly Win access things.  Running the program as an admin did not help.  So I moved Crisis General Midi from the Program Files folder to the C drive.  This solved the problem, after two hours of tearing my hair out.  Noteworthy Composer, which is my midi program, still loads files slowly and starts playback slowly, which I have found out over time is because it doesn't like the midi configuration.  However, it is loading the Crisis soundset correctly and playing back the files with no problem after a short wait.  And the DX sounds terrific.

Tom Kent

I tried and checked that after uninstalling, no files mentioned presents.

But still no luck.

I even use CMD to see what's going on. but VirtualMIDISynth does not show command line output at all.

it says similarly: BASS_UNKNOWN_ERROR

The version was: 2.5.1

It is so sudden that it is happened.

Founder of Perkedel Technologies

Share and Serve for Gratis, Open Source, and FULL VERSION!!!

Images to the dialog

Here are the dialogs it shows.

Update: I've attempted to System Restore. the System restore fails all the time I tried.

Since it is just happened, maybe reinstall Windows 10. Too extreme! I would not do that easily.

Founder of Perkedel Technologies

Share and Serve for Gratis, Open Source, and FULL VERSION!!!

You've replied to a 2013 thread which refers to VirtualMIDISynth 1.x.
Those files were not tere because 2.x changed a lot of things.

Anyway the suggestions are always the same:

• update audio device drivers
  • fully update your Windows OS
  • configure a minimal VMS setup with a well-known suondfont like Fluid (see VMS page for references)
  • use a well-known MIDI player like VanBasco or Windows Media Player

In case you still have issues, please start a new thread ;)