Max MSP

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Max MSP

Max/MSP is a reference when real time interaction is concerned. Therefore, the low latency of VirtualMIDISynth is desirable when using Max MSP software.

However, when I select VirtualMIDISynth from within Max, it makes no sound.

Anyone here using Max and solved this problem?

Re: Max MSP

Usual tips:

• configure VMS to create only a single virtual device, select this device in your MIDI Client software (Max/MSP), open VMS MIDI Mixer of the (single) device and play something: do you see any activity on the Mixer?
    If not, then something is going wrong on the path between the MIDI client and VMS; in other words VMS is not receiving MIDI stream to play.
  • check in VMS MIDI Mixer that you don't have any muted channel (right click on MIDI Mixer and select "Reset (R)")
  • open Windows Audio mixer (right click on VMS MIDI Mixer and choose "Open Windows audio mixer...") and double check that CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth process is not muted and its volume is at max level
  • open VMS configuration and double check if you have configured the right Analog output device

Thanks. I checked everything. The issue is in the first point. I mean, the VMS does not get the MIDI stream, because none of the channels in the Mixer shows activity.

The only thing I did not try was the MIDI Mapper because the VMS Configurator says it's better not to mess with that, and so I selected VMS from the MIDI player itself, i.e. Max/MSP.

Any suggestions now?

Thanks.

You should use the MIDIMapper only if your MIDI client doesn't have an option to select MIDI output device.
If you can select a specific MIDI device, please select VitualMIDISynth #1 in Max/MSP, otherwise you should workaround it with MIDIMapper.

Please refer to this blog post if you are on Windows 8 or newer.

Thanks. I'm on Windows 7. I didn't use the MIDIMapper. Instead, I select the output device from within Max/MSP. I see two devices: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, and VMS.

With Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Max does sound but with VMS not even its Mixer shows activity.

Where could be the error?

Thank you.

Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and VMS should behave the same at Max/MSP point of view.
I don't know if Max/MSP manages virtual synths (other than the MS one) in a different way.

SOLVED

Thanks. The issue was on Max/MSP since there are two places where to select the MIDI output device.

Great. It is faster than the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. Now I will measure the latency I get with VMS.

Cheers

Thanks for reporting it.

This thread will help other Max/MSP users in the future ;)

Cheers
Claudio