Black MIDI question

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Black MIDI question

Hi, just a question: Is there any way to have the CoolSoft Synth load an entire midi into memory before playing it, and then read it back and play it with the selected soundfont? For midis with >1,000,000 notes, CoolSoft stutters and groans. Is there a way to get rid of this lag?

Re: Black MIDI question

Sorry, it is not possible.

Because of its architecture, VirtualMIDISynth is a virtual audio device (driver), not a player, so it can't know what notes are being played and when; it also cannot "predict" what's coming on its MIDI IN.
It just tries to play the incoming MIDI stream as quick as possible, like a real hardware device does.
Note playing (and stream optimization)  is up to the MIDI software player.

Just a few tips:

• Latest VirtualMIDISynth version supports MIDI running status, which reduces the size of the MIDI stream by removing duplicate messages; if your MIDI player supports it try to enable it.
  • Enable "Preload the whole soundfont..." option to avoid VirtualMIDISynth hang while loading the required samples when needed.
  • Increase the output buffer up to 1000ms

If you already tried these tips without success, please attach here (or send me a PM) a "stuttering" MIDI and I'll give it a try.

This is the first I've ever heard of MIDI running status, but it sounds very interesting.  What such MIDI programs are out there do you know of that supports this function and/or has the option to enable it?

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

VanBasco is one of them; open settings dialog, then the MIDI tab and you'll find a checkbox named "Enable running status".