VirtualMidiSynth too quiet in some games - how do I boost the output?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
VirtualMidiSynth too quiet in some games - how do I boost the output?

Hello and thanks for this great software.

I use CoolSoft VirtualMidiSynth in Windows 8.1 . I have simply replaced the default Windows midi mapper entry in the registry with VirtualMidiSynth. (I found the solution in this forum)

Quote:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\midimapper

I simply changed the value from "midimap.dll" to "VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll". And ... it works."

This works fine, but I noticed that the output of most games is too quiet for my likening (eduke32, and the Doomsday engine to name a few). I checked the midi mixer from VirtualMidiSynth and the output settings in the game. Both are set to max. I also tried various different soundfonts. Is it possible to boost the output of VirtualMidiSynth even more?

The output of Windows Media Player is fine.

Re: VirtualMidiSynth too quiet in some games - how do I boost the output?

VirtualMIDISynth synthesizer output level is common to all instances, so the difference comes from the MIDI client and could be related to some things:

1. Starting from Vista, the full audio Mixer (I mean the Windows Audio mixer, not VirtualMIDISynth MIDI Mixer) has a slider for each process accessing the audio device, so each process can have its own volume.
    Please open the full audio mixer while your game is running (right click on the volume icon near desktop clock, then "Open audio mixer") and check its volume level.
  2. Your game has a MIDI volume settings that can be set, please check its value.