Cannot change volume

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Cannot change volume

I can't seem to change the volume when playing MIDIs through Potplayer (VirtualmidiSynth is set as default midi device) or through prboom-plus. Why is that?

Also, congratulations on your awesome program!
It sounds perfect.

Re: Cannot change volume

Most of players change the "analog" part of MIDI output, that is usually linked to the bundled Microsoft GS Synthesizer.

To check it, open the full audio mixer on Win 7 you can do it by right-clicking the mixer icon, then choose "Audio mixer".

This still happens. I am using the Doom Retro source port with an older version of VirtualMidiSynth, waiting for the final 2.0.

What change would have to be made so that VMS's volume can be changed from the program?

VGA wrote:
What change would have to be made so that VMS's volume can be changed from the program?

General purpose audio players usually have 3 ways to change play volume:

• audio stream is regulated (limited to values below 100% or amplified to values above) internally and already regulated samples are played out;
    this works only for "analog" sources (like MP3, WAV, AVI) but MIDI streams are usually outputted as-is, so changing volume will only change the volume of the player itself, not the one of VMS2 (open the full Windows Audio Mixer to see it)
  • player volume control is linked to a specific audio device, usually the one related to the program itself (open the full Windows Audio Mixer to see it)
    in this case there's no way to regulate MIDI volume, because VMS2 is a separate process from player
  • player volume control changes MIDI stream by sending volume controller change messages
    this is the best way to change MIDI volume, and it works with each synth (both virtual and hardware, i.e. USB connected), but AFAIK only VanBasco player does this

That said, I've tested PotPlayer and I've seen it has an interesting setting under Audio | Volume control | Volume control setting | Method thet allows you to choose which of the Windows Audio Mixers sliders link to PotPlayer volume slider.
If you set it to System master volume control then the player volume control will be linked to master slider, so ti will change all volumes together.

Just dropping in to say that I've had the same problem with a number of Doom source ports, specifically the ones that use SDL as their music backends/mixers. A workaround I use is to just lower VMS's volume in the Windows volume mixer. Have to remember to set it back afterwords, but it keeps one from being deafened by loud MIDI rock at least.