Crashes on Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Crashes on Transport Tycoon Deluxe

I tried this with a very old game Transport Tycoon Deluxe which was released back in 1995 and still has a strong following. I found this synth driver unusable with it for two main reasons: 1) loads SLOW, the game takes 15 seconds or so to load. That is an awful lot for a game that otherwise loads instantly. When a song changes there is also a few seconds of delay when nothing happens. 2) It crashes upon exit. The game's process never ends, I guess VirtualMIDISynth fails to unload and the game is waiting for the driver's response that it never gets. Only way to close it is Ctrl + Alt + Del.

However I also found BASSMIDI Driver for the same task and it works almost perfectly.

Please give further info

I know TT very well, it was one of my favorite games back in '90s.
I've never played the original one on a modern OS (which OS are you running it on?), but I tried OpenTTD, a modern emulator based on the original TTD.

Anyway, which OS are you running it on? Which version of VirtualMIDISynth and SF2? Have you tried to disable soundfont preload (if using the latest 1.4 beta)?

Anonymous user
I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. The

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. The game itself is freely downloadable, I think the author knows it is out in the wild, but also allows it as the game is not officially available about anywhere these days. I was lucky to find a CD myself a few years back. After finding the game can get TTDpatch which can do a 2000/XP patch which also fixes the game for Vista & Seven. It offers a ton of customization as well, OpenTTD & TTDpatch have contributed features in the past, these days TTDpatch is mostly a dead project as OpenTTD is easier to work with.

I tried the latest stable version of VirtualMIDISynth as I didn't want to gamble with a beta. I tried multiple SF2 files, atleast GeneralUser GS and WeedsGM3.

Good to know

Good to know that TTD works on Win7-x64 too; if I find my original copy (and a floppy reader as well) I'll give it a try.

I agree with you about beta versions, but consider that 1.4.0-beta12 is going to be the final 1.4.0 without further modifications so you can try it safely.
And also VirtualMIDISynth leaves no traces behind when removed (I hate dirty setups...).
1.4 branch contains tons of fixes, so maybe it should work.

Otherwise feel free to comment again when 1.4.0 final will be released (I hope soon, but some real life issues are keeping me offline) and you tested it.