Soundfonts stopped working

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Soundfonts stopped working

Hello

I had a big list of soundfonts working earlier with Cakewalk Express on a 32bit Windows 7 PC. I am running Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth Configurator - 1.12.0

All was going well, then I changed the Default Midi Out Device in the MIDI Mapper tab in the configurator from "Blank" to something - I think it was Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth - but I am pretty sure the "Blank" disappears the first time you select something else, and then you can't select "blank" again after that.

I then tried selecting CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth (to change it back, but a couple of restarts later and an attempted re-install appear to indicate that I am just getting general midi)

I am now confused as to what I need to set to what in order to hear the soundfonts working. Initially, I had a list of them including A340, Chorium and so on all working and I could hear the difference when I had one ticked as opposed to another (with the configurator window open on the Soundfonts page) That appeared to be working and changing in real time. Now I have Cakewalk Express set to CoolSynth. That was the correct setting all along.

I had the output in Cakewalk as Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth, but I can no longer hear any difference when I tick a different soundfont to select it in the configurator - I generally only have one ticked at once.

I am pretty sure my son had the same problem when he changed the Default MIDI Out Device from Blank to something else in the configurator about 4 years ago. I had forgotten about what had caused him the problem until tonight.

It appears setting the Default MIDI out device on the MIDI Mapper tab breaks the soundfont loading, and can cause a complete loss of sound.

Do you have any advice as to what I need to change to get this working properly again?

I have a ton of midis to record and render and I was just about to convinve my son to use this again and I now have exactly the same problem that prevetned him using it for his compositions all that time ago.

Any help you can give will be most gratefully received

PS I love this program when its working - shame I broke it again!

Thanks

Kind regards
MrGrimsdale

Attachments (Only registered users)
configurator 1.jpg
cakewalk.jpg
configurator 2.jpg
Re: Soundfonts stopped working

The two things are completely unrelated each other.

Soundfont changes are not (and never have been) applied immediately; to apply changes to soundfont list you need to restart VirtualMIDISynth (asking CakeWalk to close/reopen the device or a whole Cakewalk close/reopen).
To check if VirtualMIDISynth is closed and reopened look at its SysTray icon disappearing and then reappearing.

That said, settings to VirtualMIDISynth Configurator - MIDI Mapper tab do not affect CakeWalk, because you correctly configured it to go straight to VirtualMIDISynth.