Windows 10

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Windows 10

Just thought you might like to know CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth Configurator 1.13.2 works fine on Windows 10.

I haven't tried everything--just basic output, nothing fancy, but this is a big deal since some midi things are broken (starting with build 10162 and continuing in build 10240 in Windows 10 Insider Preview).

Specifically, if a programmer (and I'm a programmer) uses midiOutClose to switch devices or whatever, then you can't switch back to Windows midi sound.
It's as if midiOutClose now completely shuts Windows midi sound off, and it can't be brought back until you close the app and restart it.
External midi keyboards still work fine, so I guess it makes sense that your stuff does too since it doesn't use Windows midi sound, but it's still a wonderful thing that it works.

Thanks!

Re: Windows 10

Thank you for reporting your test results here!
Glad to hear that it works without any noticeable bug.

I'm also glad you're a programmer and I wonder if you'd like to test VMS 2.x (actually in alpha stage) on Windows 10 too.
I tested Win10 but only on a virtual machine; I suppose you installed it on real hardware, so that could be a good testing environment for me.

Hello,

I have just installed Windows 10 on my laptop and run into some problems with midi output. I have previously used Windows 7 to produce files for choir training. I now found that with Windows 10 two of my favourite programs, Sweet Midi Player and Notweworthy Composer both had difficulty with the choice of midi output. Looks like it's all part of the same saga that CoolSoft relates in: What happened to MIDI Mapper on Windows 8?

My education has been increased greatly by this. It would be great if you could find the time to update the story to take in Windows 10. I'm sure there will be many people like me jumping straight from 7 to 10.

The really good news is that I tried installing VirtualMidiSynth and guess what? The problems with midi output have gone away! And with better sound too. Sound fonts had always seemed a pretty daunting prospect but this software makes it easy. So far I have just tried one sound font, FluidR3_GM, but I hope to experiment further. What I really need is something with decent bass notes for organ.

Thanks.

I'm not have as perfect an experience in Windows 10.  I have Virtual MIDI Synth working in windows media player picking up my sound fonts and launching the mixer automatically.

When I try and use DOSBox to play a game the mixer arrives but it doesn't seem to have control and the sounds are definately still using the default windows midi.

Ian wrote:
...the mixer arrives but it doesn't seem to have control and the sounds are definately still using the default windows midi.

What you report is unusual because, in VMS 1.x, the systray icon appears only when VMS is in use; when VMS is released the icon disappears.

Will have a look...

If it helps any more the mixer isn't showing any instruments except for drums.  Still nothing changes if I alter the volume sliders on any channels and none show the green indicator on them.

Also I can switch it to the windows midi controller in dosbox and it doesn't show the mixer which is why I'm confident DOSBox should be using VMS

If you hear music and Mixer activity leds are off as like as the Master slider VUMeter, then VirtualMIDISynth is not receiving any data.
So that music comes from something else like internal DosBox synth, AdLib or something like that.

Have you tried with a simple MIDI player like VanBasco or Windows Media Player to confirm that VirtualMIDISynth works correctly?
Also try to open a DosBox and execute mixer /listmidi command... what's the output?

DosBox output

0        "CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth"

Using Windows Media player I also get the mixer window but for that it is definately working.

I susspect from what you are saying then that it is using adlib instead of general midi in the game I'm trying to play.
Lets assume that it's me that's at fault.

Feel free to post here your next steps if you sort it out ;)

Anonymous user

So, I'd been racking my brain, having this same problem with DosBox specifically for a while now.

The problem isn't with VMS or (necessarily) DosBox, both pieces of software are doing what they're designed to do. The "problem" is if you don't select MPU-401/General MIDI in the configuration options of the software you're trying to run, DosBox will instead route MIDI instructions to whichever sound card synth it's emulating.

I, like Ian, thought that, because the sound coming out of DosBox was trash, that it was the MS GS Wavetable Synth producing it, and it's not. Hell, the MS GS Wavetable Synth sounds pretty damn good compared to the default SB emulator synth.

Pages