VirtualMIDISynth 2.x - Release Candidate 2 released

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Bug report

The following is a list of problems i have encountered when using 2.0.0 beta6

• Crashes when attempting to blacklist a program
  • The driver cannot be used simultaneously unlike VMS1 (might not be a bug)

These are all the bugs I have encountered thus far.

Attachments (Only registered users)
Desktop 5-6-2016 7-36-28 PM-621.png
Desktop 5-6-2016 7-39-55 PM-450.png

xXx_XAE_xXx

Re: Using two instances of VMS
serosis wrote:

I got a bug report for you:

In Guitar Pro 5.2 only quarter, half, and whole notes are played back while editing at 180bpm.
If you go to a lower tempo, say 60 bpm, you can hear 16th notes played back while editing but they are cut off.
When using the MSGS Wave Synth everything works normally, the notes ring out as long as they should.

The software and synth has no problem playing normally, just during the editing process.

That's strange because MIDI has no information regarding note duration.
MIDI device receives 2 different messages: a NOTEON and a NOTEOFF; the delay between these 2 messages gives the note length.

That said, it could be really hard to test it on my side because:

• there's no Guitar Pro 5.2 trial available
  • the 6.0 version trial is limited and requires a registration process to get through
  • I suppose it will expire in some days and I don't know how much time I'll need to fix the bug
  • MOST IMPORTANT: it could require a lot of time to me to get used to Guitar Pro...

Could you try the trial of version 6.0, just to see if it has the same bug?
This way you'll avoid me registering/downloading/installing GuitarPro 6.0 in a VM uselessly.

Re: Bug report
xaelejoueur wrote:

Crashes when attempting to blacklist a program

Now fixed, thanks for reporting it.

xaelejoueur wrote:

The driver cannot be used simultaneously unlike VMS1 (might not be a bug)

This is not a bug, it's by design and it's how VMS1 should have worked from the beginning.
Well, using the same VMS1 more than once has never been locked BUT could give unexpected behaviour.

VMS2 supports multiple devices, so there's no need to reuse the same more than once.
Just open the configuration dialog and increase the virtual devices up to 4.

coolsoft wrote:

That's strange because MIDI has no information regarding note duration.
MIDI device receives 2 different messages: a NOTEON and a NOTEOFF; the delay between these 2 messages gives the note length.

That said, it could be really hard to test it on my side because:

• there's no Guitar Pro 5.2 trial available
  • the 6.0 version trial is limited and requires a registration process to get through
  • I suppose it will expire in some days and I don't know how much time I'll need to fix the bug
  • MOST IMPORTANT: it could require a lot of time to me to get used to Guitar Pro...

Could you try the trial of version 6.0, just to see if it has the same bug?
This way you'll avoid me registering/downloading/installing GuitarPro 6.0 in a VM uselessly.

Doesn't seem to do it with 6, but then again when I use 6 I exclusively use the RSE system that uses Arobas' custom VST and not MIDI (wish it could do both).
I compose in 5.2 simply because it is faster to do so and I do not have to learn notation to sequence percussion. Hoping that when 7 is released they will have dealt with the optimization issues 6 has and their drum notation hinderance model.

I was hoping it would be an easy fix because your very early builds of VMS did not have this issue. I would say which build was the last one but you do not have an any of the old versions available.

If you'd like I could loan you my registration key and a copy of the full version of 5.2 for testing. Or if you have the early builds of 1.0 laying around I could tell you which one the issue started with.

I know it is a very nitpicky issue, but I thought I would throw it out there in case it might lead up to bigger issues or for others that haven't spoken up yet.

Out Port failed

I've been using the latest beta associated with VMS2 and have been very pleased  with it when using it with NoteWorthy Composer version 2.75. However, recently, I've started noticing a new problem and I'm totally mystified by it. As soon as I open NoteWorthy Composer, I see the following message:-

Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth

Device "VirtualMIDISynth #1'' is already in use by process ''C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\NWC2.exe'', PID #5080

After clicking OK and closing the message box, I see in the taskbar, to the right:-

Alert#1 (or 2, or 3 etc)

The VirtualMIDISynth #1 out port failed

If I then choose Tools (in NWC) and change the MIDI output device to the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, full NWC operation becomes possible again

I have checked VirtualMIDISynth and can find no reference to port settings so I have no idea what is going on.

Thanks for any assistance. Operating systsem is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

John Marchington

MOD EDIT: Post moved here from its own thread, please keep bug reports of beta versions here.

Johnno

Re: Out Port failed
Johnno wrote:
Device "VirtualMIDISynth #1'' is already in use by process ''C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\NWC2.exe'', PID #5080

It seems that NoteWorthy is not properly closing the MIDI port or, maybe, it was hang and you were starting a second instance.

• close all NoteWorthy instances
  • check that all VirtualMIDISynth devices are free: open VirtualMIDISynth Configurator and go to About tab, then check if any process is using one of then active VMS devices
  • if yes, open the Task Manager then Details tab, find that "zombie" process by its PID and terminate it
  • keeb the About tab open and start NoteWorthy again, now you should see it listed as active MIDI client
  • if the error still comes than NoteWorthy is doing something wrong with device open/close calls

I don't know if there's a demo/trial version of NoteWorthy; if so I'll test it on my side.

Thank you for your reply.

You may be correct about NoteWorthy Composer not properly closing the MIDI out port, although this has never happened to me before when I've used other MIDI playback devices - mainly of Microsoft origin - so I am somwhat sceptical about that possibility.

I have visited the VMS "About" before and noticed that VMS #1 was already being used by NoteWorthy Composer when the problem occurred. However, I am currently being informed that VMS#1 is "Free" - so I can now again use NWC with VMS. If I do strike trouble again I shall follow your instructions. Incidentally, I have just checked the Windows Task Manager and note that VirtualMIDISynth is running with a PID number 424.

I remain puzzled as to why this problem started in the first place because all was working well until then?

You may have already found that NoteWorthy Composer 2.75 - the version I am currently using - does have a demo version and I include the link to it here in case you decide to download it for testing.

https://noteworthycomposer.com/composer/evaluate.htm

Johnno

Johnno wrote:
I have visited the VMS "About" before and noticed that VMS #1 was already being used by NoteWorthy Composer when the problem occurred. However, I am currently being informed that VMS#1 is "Free" - so I can now again use NWC with VMS. If I do strike trouble again I shall follow your instructions.

Right, when the bug happens open the Taskmanager and check if NoteWorthy is still running with the PID shown in the error MessageBox.

Johnno wrote:
Incidentally, I have just checked the Windows Task Manager and note that VirtualMIDISynth is running with a PID number 424.

PID stands for Process IDentifier, so each instance of a process have its own.

Johnno wrote:
I remain puzzled as to why this problem started in the first place because all was working well until then?

Sadly this is a kind of issues that is difficult to sort out, because not always reproducible on the system where it first appeared (yours) and poseven less reproducible on other ones (say mine)...

I've been out this evening but have just checked NoteWorthy Composer and all is well at present with playback. Nevertheless, I can still hear what sounds like mild overloading or maybe transient distortion, especially in forte passages and above. I've played around with the sound level associated with VirtualMIDISynth - tried lowering it - and it hasn't made any real disfference to the timbre so I guess it might be something I'm going to have to live with ... unfortunately.

Johnno

coolsoft wrote:
notator wrote:
But I'm also thinking that VMS#2 could, by default, simply inherit all VMS#1's settings, including the soundFont(s). That's what I originally assumed was going to happen...

Thanks for pointing it out.

I would love to see this feature.  It would save a good chunk of memory if multiple synth devices could be configured to share SoundFont data.  I am running two devices and both have exactly the same SoundFont chains, but the font data is thus duplicated in memory.  I would run three or four devices if I could (optionally) configure them to share SoundFont data in memory.  If the SoundFont chains can't be explicitly linked, then perhaps VSM can recognize when the same SoundFont file is used by more than one synth device and use the memory instance of the existing font.  Or something.

For the record, I'm still testing Beta 6 and have had absoultely zero problems.... I love it! 

Joseph

[JJH/Jovet]

Pages