VirtualMIDISynth 2.x - Release Candidate 2 released

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.x - Beta 4 + 6 - Broken?

Those errors are shown by the synth (VirtualMIDISynth.exe in C:\Program Files\VirtualMIDISynth folder) when it starts, invoked by the driver component, and it inizializes the output device.
Sadly the BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN error is not much specific and could mean anything unexpected...

There was a deep installer change between Beta4 and Beta6 that changed installation layout and folders.
Maybe some stale file is still around...

• uninstall currently installed Beta
  • check that none of these folders exists (otherwise delete them): C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth, C:\Program Files\VirtualMIDISynth
  • check that none of these files exists (otherwise delete them): C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth.dll, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth.dll
  • check these registry keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32:
    they contain more than one midi... value; if some of them refers to VirtualMIDISynth.dll, replace it with wdmaud.drv
    see here for further details (this document refers to VMS1 but it's registry part is still valid): http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth/faq#faq12

Now finally (better after a reboot) reinstall Beta6 and try again.

Thank you, that fixed it!

Frozen Snow wrote:
Thank you, that fixed it!

Which of the points above helped in solving your issue?
I'd like to know if there's something wrong in install/uninstall procedures...

On the subject of uninstalling/reinstalling/upgrading, is it at all possible to add an option to preserve the user-defined blacklist?  As is good practice I like to clear my settings with each new beta but I keep forgetting to add a few things back to the list, which crops up next time I want to upgrade it.

The "clear settings" option is actually simply a "delete config file" action, so it's all-or-nothing.
It was added because during alpha/beta I want to be able to change my mind and rename/delete configuration settings without the need to write upgrade procedures.

Don't worry, it won't exist in final releases; these will always upgrade their configuration between versions.

The second option (sorry for my mega late reply xD) 

The folders and files were there and apperently locked, I booted into safe mode and deleted them, that did the trick. I'm not sure as to what happened, but I installed a lot of software in the mean time.  

By the way, in case this matters, my OS is Windows 10 Enterprise 64 Bit

First beta (6) install on a fresh installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. 

I struggled with the "bank not found" problem with some SoundFonts that I re-banked to use alongside other sound fonts.   What's the purpose of the Bank setting in the Edit soundfont properties dialog box? I initially assumed that Bank/Preset could be set to override the values in the file, but found the files pre-loaded fine once the proper values the files actually possess was used.

Other than that, I am having absolutely zero issues.  It installed perfectly, and playback is smooth and sounds great. 

This software has been a God-send for me, and this new version 2 seems to be amazing.  I've definitely been craving a multiple-synth feature.  I really appreciate VirtualMIDISynth!  Thank You!!

Joseph

[JJH/Jovet]

midiOutOpen problem

I've just discovered that there's a problem with an old library I'm using.
(Leslie Sanford's C# MIDI Toolkit: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/6228/C-MIDI-Toolkit)

The library calls the following midiOutOpen() function (defined in winmm.dll):

[DllImport("winmm.dll")]
    private static extern int midiOutOpen(ref int handle, int deviceID, MidiOutProc proc, int instance, int flags);

VMS 1.16.1 works fine (returns 0), but VMS 2-beta6 returns error code 4.

Is there some way I can get round this problem? (I can change my local copy of the library code.)

http://james-ingram-act-two.de/

Jovet wrote:
What's the purpose of the Bank setting in the Edit soundfont properties dialog box?

Bank setting tells VirtualMIDISynth which bank(s) to (pre)load when loading that soundfont.
I've seen that it's not possible to set -1 as bank value to let VirtualMIDISynth to load all banks (will fix it in next beta).
By default it will load bank 0.

Jovet wrote:
This software has been a God-send for me, and this new version 2 seems to be amazing. I've definitely been craving a multiple-synth feature. I really appreciate VirtualMIDISynth! Thank You!!

Thanks for testing it and giving feedback.

Re: midiOutOpen problem
notator wrote:

I've just discovered that there's a problem with an old library I'm using.
(Leslie Sanford's C# MIDI Toolkit: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/6228/C-MIDI-Toolkit)

I used that library too, and I liked it so much.

The first idea that came to my mind is an x64 incompatibility: being a .NET program, if you build your project in AnyCPU mode it will run in 64bit mode under x64 operating system.
C# MIDI Toolkit was not built with x64 in mind, so there are some known issues on 64 bit.
There's a lot of comments on CodeProject about 64bit-aware version of that library and, since the original author seems not mantaining the code anymore, a CodeProject user created a GitHub repository with the most recent code and integrated a lot of patches.
Take a look here: https://github.com/tebjan/Sanford.Multimedia.Midi and see if it works better than the original one.

If this won't help, please create a ZIP file with the minimal code to let the bug happen (including your C# MIDI Toolkit dll) and post it here (or using the contact form).

Pages