virtual midi synth won't appear in the midi output session

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

virtual midi synth won't appear in the midi output session

hello, i am using windows 10 which i installed reacently , and i am having this problem, whenever i'll go to the configurator , go to the MIDI MAPPER tab, i'll find the microsoft wavetable only without the virtual midi synth option, what's the problem? and how it could be solved? thanks

best regards

Re: virtual midi synth won't appear in the midi output session

It seems something prevented correct VMS installation and/or garbled the following registry key:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 (only on 64bit systems)

Could you please check if VirtualMIDISynth is registered in both those registry keys?
You should see a midi* entry like "VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll".

It happened a long time ago to another user with (AFAIR) a Creative sound card driver that replaced midi config.

Another thing to try is to reinstall it disabling antivirus/antimalware/any other protection system.

I am having the same issue with an installation of 1.7.10 (Latest 1.7 release if that's not it) on WinXP 32-Bit.

I am running a Creative card (A Sound Blaster Live) on PCI. The options shown there are the standard SBL options, a USB MIDI adapter (I have one plugged in) and regular GS Wavetable Synth, but no coolsoft. That registry key exists and has a proper value, identical to another system running the same version (Properly) on x64 Win 7. Everything is fine, and it's running on an Athlon XP 2000+

Another issue was I couldn't install the latest version of 2.x.x because the installer crashed (I think at the part where it was looking for running tasks, but I saw some stuff about that not working on some systems, whatever doesn't matter) but this is not to the point.

I am using Anvil Studio to test out, and no matter what MIDI out I select, it uses the regular midi controller (Sound blaster or whatever else I chose).

If I didn't provide enough info I am happy to supply more, the default microsoft synth SUCKS and the sound blaster one is maybe somewhat slightly if so better.

We should concentrate on VMS 2 because, 1.x will shortly become the legacy version.

I'm going to release VMS2-RC2 with an additional setup option /skip_locked_check to skip locked file checking. You could use it to "force" installation if the standard way still doesn't work.

Please subscribe to the 2.0 thread to be notified and post your feedback here.

Many thanks! All my musical operations have been stalled until I could get this working, glad to see there will be a workaround.

Actually, do you think you could lead me in the right direction for a manual installation? (Like registry settings and stuff. I am thinking I can just get the files from a working install.)

Nevermind. I have found out that my Soundblaster Live (Probably what was causing this to happen) supports the direct installation of soundfonts.

Keep making this however, I no longer have the need for it in my music rig, but it's a wonder to use on a computer without a soundcard like mine. It will still use this program on my gaming rig for

DOSBox sorts of stuff, and for listening to MIDI music.

Thanks a ton for a great program.

Ampera wrote:
Actually, do you think you could lead me in the right direction for a manual installation? (Like registry settings and stuff. I am thinking I can just get the files from a working install.)

Well, manual install requires a lot of "documentation", more work than add the new switch to existing setup ;)
Glad you found a workaround, hope you'll try next VMS2-RC2 when released.

Definately. The SBL is pretty slow. It's alright for what I need from it, but echoing is not that fast. Maybe it's because my soundfont is 300mb per bank. Either way thanks for making an amazing product.

Anonymous user
coolsoft wrote:

It seems something prevented correct VMS installation and/or garbled the following registry key:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 (only on 64bit systems)

Could you please check if VirtualMIDISynth is registered in both those registry keys?
You should see a midi* entry like "VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll".

It happened a long time ago to another user with (AFAIR) a Creative sound card driver that replaced midi config.

Another thing to try is to reinstall it disabling antivirus/antimalware/any other protection system.

Hi, Using a laptop with windows 10 here. After installation, Virtual Synth didn't show up in the output selection box of Sonar and Synthesia.
Your golden hint (see quote) saved me. After making a new value "midi3" with the path name "C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll" everything worked.

Pages