VMS 2.0 - Problems with access (Overture 5)

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: VMS 2.0 - Problems with access
Paky78 wrote:

stesso problema succede con "cubase 5 VST32"   una volta avviato su #1 anche #2, #3 e #4 risultano occupati.....SISTEMA OPERATIVO  WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ....se servono più info sul pc in uso mi faccia sapere ....

Credo sia lo stesso problema (veda risposta precedente).
Se la scheda Informazioni di VirtualMIDISynth riporta lo stesso PID per tutti i processi allora il problema è del client MIDI (Cubase).
PS: se vogliamo continuare in italiano ok, ma meglio farlo in un nuovo thread...

TRANSLATION: should be the same issue, please check in the About tab if the same PID is reported more than once...

Hi, Chief,

coolsoft wrote:

I've tested Overture 5 (Trial) on my test system and I see that it opens all of the available devices (at least all of the VirtualMIDISynth #1...#4) regardless of its MIDI devices configuration.

I enabled VirtualMIDISynth #1 only at first, but I still receive MODM_OPEN calls for all of the devices.

The same happens if I completely disable VirtualMIDISynth (see attached picture).

Yes, I experience that here.

That confirms the correctness of what is reported by the About tab: Overture5.exe is using all VirtualMIDISynth virtual devices.

There's nothing more I can do on my side; I believe this is a client issue so it must be addressed by Sonic Scores.

Yes, so it seems.

I don't know if they have a support forum; if yes, please start a support request and backlink it here so I can follow it.

Yes, they have an excellent and active support forum for Overture, well attended by Don Williams, the program developer (although he is greatly overloaded - I'm sure you can relate!).

Here is a link to my report there on this matter:

https://sonicscores.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=18442

So far I have received no reponse.

Thanks for your assistance on this matter.

Best regards,
Doug

Doug Kerr wrote:

Here is a link to my report there on this matter:

https://sonicscores.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=18442

Well done, I'll poll it for a few days waiting for any update.
Feel free to draw my attention if something happens...

Hi, Chief,

coolsoft wrote:

Well done, I'll poll it for a few days waiting for any update.
Feel free to draw my attention if something happens...

Good enough.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Doug

Not sure how I messed up the quoting there!

Sorry
Doug

My last post started the mess, not your fault.

PS: forum is something I need to fix as soon as I have some spare time ;)
Sadly it's a self-made forum: since Drupal hasn't a forum module I like, sometimes ago I started writing this one by myself...
Being self-made I have no one to blame but me ;)

Hi, Chief,

coolsoft wrote:

My last post started the mess, not your fault.

PS: forum is something I need to fix as soon as I have some spare time ;)
Sadly it's a self-made forum: since Drupal hasn't a forum module I like, sometimes ago I started writing this one by myself...
Being self-made I have no one to blame but me ;)

Yes, but that is always the best way to do it!

Best regards,

Doug

Another curiosity in this area.

I have installed the two notation programs Encore 4.5.5 (quite obsolete but need it for "historical research" reasons) and Encore 5.0.4.

We start with no MIDI client programs running. I open Encore 4.5.5. I set its MIDI output to VMS #3. I open Encore 5.0.4. I set its MIDI output to VMS #3. No complaints.

If I have either of those applications play a score, it plays just fine. I leave both those applications running.

Then I open Overture. It gives no error message about VMS instances being busy.

But in Encore 4.5.5 and Encore 5.0.4, error messages come up, some from VMS and some from Encore.

I can say that the Encore code for MIDI port selection is "peculiar" (I did some work on that a couple of years ago, but forgot everything about it!)

It is enough to make one's head hurt!

Best regards,

Doug

Well, it could be that the two Encore release thair output device when not in use.
Some "extremely-polite" software behave like that; one of them is VanBasco: if you play something then push stop (and make VanBasco player window lose focus), then it will release its output device.
It is more noticeable with VMS1 because, when a song ended, the MIDI Mixer of VMS1 closed and a new VMS instance was reloaded from scratch at next play.

You could conform it by keeping an eye on clients PIDs shown in VMS2 About tab.

Hi, Chief,

coolsoft wrote:

Well, it could be that the two Encore release thair output device when not in use.
Some "extremely-polite" software behave like that; one of them is VanBasco: if you play something then push stop (and make VanBasco player window lose focus), then it will release its output device.

Ah, quite so. When Encore is not playing, and then loses focus, it apprently releases its connection to the VMS driver.

It is more noticeable with VMS1 because, when a song ended, the MIDI Mixer of VMS1 closed and a new VMS instance was reloaded from scratch at next play.

Yes, I think I had seen that via the Tray icon!

You could conform it by keeping an eye on clients PIDs shown in VMS2 About tab.

Well, I see it clearly with the client name not being shown anymore when it releases the driver.

Thak you so much for that insightful diagnosis!

Best regards,

Doug

Pages