Synthesia 0.8.3 and 0.8.4 problem

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Synthesia 0.8.3 and 0.8.4 problem

Hello Coolsoft,

I have a problem with the 1.4.0 version of VMS when using Synthesia 0.8.3 or the preview of 0.8.4.

When I'm listening to pieces which are longer than 7 or 8 minutes, it sometimes happends that an instrument holds a note forever

although it should stop playing it. This occurs mostly with the strings and woods. This bug remains until I stop the MIDI or when I

rewind to the place where the note has started. Did other users experience this problem and are there ways to fix this?

Thank you for your answer!

Regards

Strange issue

Honestly I've never tried such a long MIDI, but I don't think that length could be a problem.
Usually this is due to a MIDI buffer overflow that causes some messages (note-off) being lost.

This issue was already fixed (or supposed to be) in the past.

Could you please send a sample file that shows the issue?
You can zip and send it to me through the contact form.

PS: next VMS version will have a "MIDI Panic" feature; it's a shortcut to quickly send a note-off to all channels.
I agree that's not a perfect solution, but will help live performers to instantly shutoff dead notes without the need to restart MIDI player.

As I mentioned, I experience

As I mentioned, I experience this mostly with pieces which are longer than about seven minutes. But also with pieces with big scores.

I just had it with this one:
http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/misc/mf/dl.php?f=midi/n2/jsrap4gm...

It's a huge realisation of Ravel's Feria of the Rapsodie Espagnol. There are actually two bugs present here but the other one belongs to Synthesia itself. Two notes will be shown all the but make no sound and sometimes it occurs that a string holds a note all the time although the note has already vanished and therefore should be stopped.

The second one is due to VMS because it doesn't appear when I'm using the MS Table Synth or the BASSMIDI Driver.

Sadly I can't reproduce

Sadly I can't reproduce the bug you reported on my side.

I played the file you linked for more than 5 times but no dead note comes around.
It worths a try on Synthesia forum to just know if other Synthesia users are experiencing the same bug.
As far as I know no other user reported this bug after it was fixed in early 1.4.0-beta releases.

PS: searching for a really hard test file, I came here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_TBJ5se_fc
It's a really hard piano track, with more than 160000 notes. It plays well on my side.

Synthesia Error

Hello CoolSoft,

I finally made a video with Fraps of the error with the endless note I experience in Synthesia all the time.

http://www.vidup.de/v/JsRdL/

Regards

No doubt you're experiencing

No doubt you're experiencing this issue, but sadly I can't reproduce it on my side.
I also tried with a bad-guy-midi like the one I posted in previous comment, but it plays smoothly on my side.

I'll drop a line to Nicholas (the author of Synthesia) to see if he can see (or have already seen) this same bug.

BTW, have you tried the same setup on another PC?