VirtualMidiSynth configurator stopped working

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
VirtualMidiSynth configurator stopped working

I can't launch either the "VirtualMidiSynth configurator" nor the "midi converter". I got this issue after updating to version 2.0 and every subsequent version. Version 1.17.1 still works fine without issue. I already tried reinstalling (also manually), disabling my Antivirus software, starting it as administrator and upgrading the coolsoft midi mapper to its latest version (1.0.0 RC2). I really need some help here cause all of my Dosbox games are configured to use virtualmidisync by now and I really don't wanna play my dos games without it anymore.

System:

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit version 1709, build 16299.19

Intel i5-4690k

16GB DDR3 2133

Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-gaming 5

MSI GTX 960 4G

Beschreibung
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung:    C:\Program Files\VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.exe

Problemsignatur
Problemereignisame:    BEX64
Anwendungsname:    VirtualMIDISynth.exe
Anwendungsversion:    2.1.0.0
Anwendungszeitstempel:    59f8cd46
Fehlermodulname:    VirtualMIDISynth.exe
Fehlermodulversion:    2.1.0.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel:    59f8cd46
Ausnahmeoffset:    000000000005375b
Ausnahmecode:    c0000409
Ausnahmedaten:    0000000000000005
Betriebsystemversion:    10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.48
Gebietsschema-ID:    1031
Zusatzinformation 1:    103e
Zusatzinformation 2:    103e810e1acb145c4cc6aec1a6057f74
Zusatzinformation 3:    bf2b
Zusatzinformation 4:    bf2b5836cf5eef875d806a5f5f2c5918

Dateien zur Beschreibung des Problems
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Edit: Attached DXDiag

Attachments (Only registered users)
DxDiag.txt
Re: VirtualMidiSynth configurator stopped working

So, I found out that configurator works in save mode (it won't find any audio devices, of course). So, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my audiodriver thinking that might be an issue but it still doesn't work. I also tried deactivating all other non windows essential programs in the background via the task manager and that also doesn't work. I have some other audio stuff installed (but not actively running) like FFDshow, LAV and MADVR for my zoomplayer as well as SVP 4 free (which I don't use atm). Can any of those things be in conflict with VirtualMidiSynth?

As for my audio driver: I use my onboard ALC 1150 and driver version 6.0.1.7727 (that's the latest driver version which is fully supported by my mainboard) but I also tried the latest driver from the realtek website (which works just without the controlpanel which I need for the EQ).

Edit: I'll attach the full Windows error report files for further detail.

Attachments (Only registered users)
Report.wer_.txt
WER62EE.tmp_.WERInternalMetadata.xml_.txt

VMS has no particular requirements and does nothing strange.
BEX64 errors are usually caused by some external hook injected into the process that lead it to crash.
Hook injection techniques are used by Antivirus suites, theme managers, services and (sadly) viruses.

A quick Google search for BEX64 returned a lot of results; this one from Reddit seems interesting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/32lypb/i_found_the_...

I'm sorry but it seems you have to proceed by trial and error till you find what's causing VMS to crash...

coolsoft wrote:
VMS has no particular requirements and does nothing strange.
    BEX64 errors are usually caused by some external hook injected into the process that lead it to crash.
    Hook injection techniques are used by Antivirus suites, theme managers, services and (sadly) viruses.
A quick Google search for BEX64 returned a lot of results; this one from Reddit seems interesting:https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/32lypb/i_found_the_...
I'm sorry but it seems you have to proceed by trial and error till you find what's causing VMS to crash...

Alright, thx for the answer! At least that gives me a bit of an idea about what to look out for. What is strange to me, tho, is that the 1.xx version works just fine and that the error only happens with version 2.xx. Did anything significant change like the framework the UI depends on or does it use some injections it previously didn't? Maybe that'll isolate the error further.

Being it an "external" factor, it could (but usually shouldn't) lead to any unexpected behavior.

In other words, suppose it causes an unexpected block of data to be set within process memory space.
In 1.xx this unexpected data could have been wrote in an unused memory block and now, unluckily, that memory block is used in 2.xx and leads to a process crash...

Hello! It's been a while but I'm very happy to report that Version 2.3.0 works for me. I gave it a try after a Windows update broke my previous 1.17.1 installation. So, either something in version 2.3.0 changed for the better from 2.2.0 or the old 1.17.1 installation conflicted somehow with the new one and the driver reset done by the windows update fixed the issue. Pretty happy about that either way! :)

Thanks for reporting it.
Things changed a lot between 2.0.0 and 2.3.0, but nothing straightly related to BEX...

Anyway, good to know it works now ;)