No Sound

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
No Sound

Installed VMS and Midi Mapper both although my Windows 10 Home system somehow had both Microsoft MIDI Mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. I installed after learning from your site that VMS sounds really good. For soundfont, I installed two, from the links on your site, the one that is your favorite, and the other that is really large per your description.

There was no sound. So after installing/re-installing several times and fooling with settings, I installed it a week or so ago.

Yesterday, I installed it again. For soundfont, I installed the Arachno this time. Still no sound. Yesterday, I also installed AIMP from AIMP.ru following a link from your site. Same problem of no sound with AIMP as well. In fact, I had installed AIMP BEFORE VMS/mapper, but no sound before or after, and even restart.

Windows Media Player was playing the files fine till I made the VMS as default, so were Cubase, Samplitude, Acid Pro and Magix Music Maker. Reaper and Ableton have been having difficulty with both MS GS Wavetable and VMS, MS GS will either not show up in those two apps, or it will not get opened. As for VMS, it always shows up in Ableton, has not difficulty opening, but no sound. In reaper, it would show up more often than not, has not given difficulty being invoked by Reaper, but, NO SOUND.

I record keyboards and drums using Cubase and play them in performance using Ableton. For mastering I use Pro Tools and several other high-end apps. For quick/dirty mastering or for trying out various effects non-destructively before I switch to Pro Tools or other heavy-duties, I use Magix Music Maker.

I have a couple of degrees and a few board-certifications in Medicine and one in computers, including certs from MS, IBM, Oracle (but I have not done much tinkering with codes in about five years not).

Since last month, I have been considering Reaper, and had come across the need to give a try to VMS after MS GS hit/miss with Reaper (and also with FL Studio. VMS had just as much difficulty with FL Studio as the MS GS.) I need the VMS working, so that I can test out Cockos Reaper (and hopefully switch to it intial recording and final performance, on a PC (Mac is ruled out for performance as several of my software do not work on Mac). Let us start by making it work with Windows Media Player or AIMP.

This may be a good opportunity also for you to see how VMC and the new mapper RC interface with Industry-standard professional DAWs and softsynths, high-end hardware synths, and even some lighter apps like FL Studio, Acid Pro, Magix Music Maker and AIR Ignite.

I will be providing my experience of adding the VMS to these DAWs (and the synths they came with and I added after-market to them):
Studio One
Pro Tools
Cubase
Ableton
FL Studio
Reaper
Samplitude, Acid, Magix Music Maker

Hardware:
Alesis Vortex Wireless, Vi, Q6.1
Yamaha Motif XS, and several PSA arrangers
Korg Kronos, KingKorg, Microstation, PAx4
Roland Fantom X, Integra, Juno D

Thanks a lot!

It is not the mountains ahead, it is the grain of the sand in my shoes.

Re: No Sound

Let's start with these steps to detect why you hear no sound from VMS:

1. install latest version of VMS (2.3.0 at the time of writing)
  2. configure a single VMS device (Configuration... | Options | Number of devices = 1)
  3. check that VMS output device is set to default or (better) on a specific (and connected) device
  4. configure at least one soundfont and ensure it's activated (green LED near soundfont name)
  5. download and install VanBasco MIDI Player (http://www.vanbasco.com/download.html)
    NOTE: being a legacy setup, you need to run it by right clicking on it and explicitly selecting the "Run as administrator" mode
  6. start VanBasco and open its configuration dialog (ALT+S), open Midi tab and select VirtualMIDISynth #1 as output device
  7. now open VMS MIDI Mixer #1 (right click on systray icon, MIDI Mixer...)
  8. play a MIDI in VanBasco and you should see activity on MIDI Mixer channels
  9. double check in MIDI Mixer that channels are not muted and Master volume is at max
  10. open the full Windows Audio mixer (right click on Volume systray icon and select Open volume mixer), then search Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth volume slider and check if it's muted)

Please report which of these steps fails.