VirtualMIDISynth and Final Fantasy 7

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
VirtualMIDISynth and Final Fantasy 7

Hello, I have several PC games that use midi, and one I've been playing, Final Fantasy 7, has an issue with sound being cut during movie scenes due to there not being a separate volume control in Windows 7 for general midi. It's not a bug within Windows or the game, just an unexpected quirk of trying to play a game from 1998 on win7.

The solution, I discovered, was to find a replacement for the general midi synth used by Win7 and a quick google returned VirtualMidiSynth near the top. I downloaded and installed the program along with the ChoriumRevA soundfont, and I fired up FF7 and I must say I am deeply impressed. Not only did it fix the disappearing cut-scene sounds, but the overal sound quality has gone up dramatically. Deep rich tones, with reverb and 3D positional effects that are fantastic. (I play with headphones)

However, I have a problem I am hoping to get help solving. Upon choosing to `Quit`the game the player is presented with a small screen asking if you are sure with a Yes or No selection. Upon choosing Yes the game now freezes. This issue is testable and continously repeatable; use Win7 general midi, no hang on game exit, use VirtualmidiSynth, game hangs on game exit.

Otherwise I notice no performance issues in game; no slow downs in any aspect of the game and never a crash while simply playing the game. Just at the single point of trying to exit the program.

Question 2: The keyboard short cuts for the midi mixer, are they 'active' when the game is using VirtualMidiSynth for midi output? These old games use the keyboard for controls so there may be a conflict if that is the case. If that is the case, can I disable the shortcuts?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

jrevelater

Thanks for your kind words ;)

Thanks for your kind words ;)

Q1: I don't have a copy of Final Fantasy 7 to test so it's really difficult for me to reproduce that bug.
Is there a demo/trial still around? (being a '90 game I don't think so)...

Q2: to disable shortcut, click into shortcut selector box and press DEL on your keyboard; after that you'll read into the box and shortcut will be disabled.