Newbie, how to setup sfz soundfont?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: Newbie, how to setup sfz soundfont?

Hey guys, sorry if I am changing a bit the subject of the topic, but where can I get the piano souncfound which everybody is talking about? I love to have various types of soundfounts...

Thanks a lot!

If you like the music, try midi. If you don't like midi, try the music.

KaleidonKep99 wrote:
It relies on BASSOPUS for me. :o

VMS does not (and maybe will not) include any of the additional BASS format plugins (MP3, OGG, FLAC, ...).
There's a lot of them as packing a big setup with all of them together is quite useless because most of the SF2 out there are uncompressed.
Maybe I could prepare some kind of "additional codecs" setup, with all the additional plugins, that can be installed after VMS...

KaleidonKep99 wrote:

I think Claudio is using an outdated version of BASSMIDI, which doesn't support the "default_path" parameter.

You're right, I've taken a note to update it and then I forgotten ;)

HummingBirdGuy wrote:

Hey guys, sorry if I am changing a bit the subject of the topic, but where can I get the piano souncfound which everybody is talking about? I love to have various types of soundfounts...

Thanks a lot!

You mean my Keppy's Steinway Piano?

You can get it here: http://keppystudios.com/keppy-s-steinway-piano.html

coolsoft wrote:

VMS does not (and maybe will not) include any of the additional BASS format plugins (MP3, OGG, FLAC, ...).
There's a lot of them as packing a big setup with all of them together is quite useless because most of the SF2 out there are uncompressed.
Maybe I could prepare some kind of "additional codecs" setup, with all the additional plugins, that can be installed after VMS...

Or you could just add a checkbox to the default installer that says "Install additional codecs for compressed soundfonts". :P

But is it really necessary to install additional libraries?
sfz with OGG  samples work without installing additional libraries in VSM 1.15.1. (checked with vanBasco and MidiTrail).
BASSFLAC.dll and BASSWV.dll (wavpack) are necessary to compress from sf2 to sf2pack when using the compression tool sf2pack.exe. But these libraries need to be in the same folder than sf2pack.exe. They don't need to be in the VirtualMidiSynth directory. And VMS doesn't support sf2pack.
I guess that installing additional libraries in VMS would be necessary only if (or when) Claudio adds support for sf2pack. Or Maybe not even in that case additional libraries would be necessary. I really don't know.

If the samples of an SFZ file are compressed with FLAC, BASS isn't able to play them out-of-the-box without BASSFLAC.dll.
Same thing with other codecs; MP3 is the only one, AFAIK, bundled in BASS.

Hi all, in fact I have just downloaded this soundfount and like the first person who posted here, I can't neither use this soundfount but in this case into coolsoft, at least it does not work using QWS as the other soundfounts which I use. Then what can we do for use it? I'd like to test the deep piano preset. Thanks again for your replies!

If you like the music, try midi. If you don't like midi, try the music.

HummingBirdGuy wrote:

Hi all, in fact I have just downloaded this soundfount and like the first person who posted here, I can't neither use this soundfount but in this case into coolsoft, at least it does not work using QWS as the other soundfounts which I use. Then what can we do for use it? I'd like to test the deep piano preset. Thanks again for your replies!

You could have figured it out reading this post. The Keppy's  Steanway sfz soundfount contains two folders of samples: Bright and Grand. And it contains 5 presets plus variations. If you open (with a text editor) the Deep Piano preset you will see that it uses the Grand samples.
Because VirtualMidiSynth doesn't support the DEFAULt_PATH parameter, the only way to make work a preset is copying the sfz inside the sample folder it uses.
So, in your case, go to the Deep preset folder and copy the  "Keppy's Steanway Piano - Deep Piano.sfz" file inside of the folder \Samples\Grand. In VMS, load this soundfont from the Grand folder. You will be able to use it like a normal sf2 soundfont with only one instrument.

retrue wrote:
VirtualMidiSynth doesn't support the DEFAULT_PATH parameter

Next update will contain an updated version of BASSMIDI.dll with this fix.

Meanwhile you can update that DLL by yourself, downloading it from un4seen website here:
http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/bassmidi.zip

The zip file contains both x86 and x64 versions, so beware of bitness:
x64 version must replace the file in C:\Windows\System32\VirtualMIDISynth, while the x86 version must replace the file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth,

retrue wrote:
Because VirtualMidiSynth doesn't support the DEFAULT_PATH parameter

Hi All,

Just to clarify, this sfz opcode : default_path=

is not in the sfz format V1.0 specs but it's the V2.0 opcode.

And the sfz support in the BASS engine used by VMS is only limited to sfz V1.0 specs (as far as i remember)

So, VMS is not in the victim position :)

But if Claudio can managed to add and make that opcode supported, that will be awesome!

P.S.: Lots of recent sfz instruments are made with V2.0 specs (and even custom sfz opcodes), so when anyone having trouble loading sfz in VMS, please check the sfz files first and make sure it's compatible. Other solution is by removing V2.0 opcodes from the file. It's very easy to do via notepad.

Hope this help, cheers...

Pagine