CoolSoft MIDIMapper Release Candidate 2 released

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: CoolSoft MIDIMapper beta5 released

Thanks for reporting it ;)

Both of the following tests passed for me with beta5; apps were set to use default MIDI device:

1. System Shock Enhanced Edition, with CSMM routing to USB MIDI interface.
  2. DOSBox w/Wizardry 6 MT-32 mode, with CSMM routing to USB MIDI interface and then to Munt driver (output came from the appropriate device each time without touching the DOSBox configuration).

Of course, for DOSBox it's easy to use the desired device by launching via D-Fend Reloaded, but CSMM makes it easier to live with GOG installs of DOSBox games.

Good.

I'm adding the last missing feature: "Windows Media player default device", like the one in VirtualMIDISynth.
After that I think CMM is ready for final release.

It doesnt work for me on Windows 10 Pro x64.

In the CoolSoft MidiMapper i can only choose MS GS Wavetable Synth & the WMP also dont use the new mapper even if the CoolSoft MIDI Mapper is selected in Virtual Synth.

nel mio hp core i7   tutto ok

ottimo lavoro

One advantage of the old MS Midi Mapper was that you could use it to output to a device to ,say, play a MIDI file at the same time the device was being used for a different purpose, say patch editing.

The Coolsoft MIDI Mapper does not appear to support this feature - it requires sole access to whatever MIDI device is set as the default output device.

Would it be difficult to add this feature to your mapper?

jonrmorgan wrote:

One advantage of the old MS Midi Mapper was that you could use it to output to a device to ,say, play a MIDI file at the same time the device was being used for a different purpose, say patch editing.

The Coolsoft MIDI Mapper does not appear to support this feature - it requires sole access to whatever MIDI device is set as the default output device.

Would it be difficult to add this feature to your mapper ?

You can always use MIDI-OX for that kind of thing.

jonrmorgan wrote:
you could use it to output to a device to ,say, play a MIDI file at the same time the device was being used for a different purpose, say patch editing.

I didn't know about this "feature" and I've never used it.

What if one of the device clients sends an instrument (program) change?
Will the other also get the new instrument or will it go on with its same instruments set?

If the first then it seems more like a bug than a feature; the two clients could mess the other one configuration unexpectedly.

Which is the output of MIDIMapper in the configuration you've described? Is it the bundled "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"?
If so then maybe they used some undocumented call to split client sessions apart...

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it sounds odd but my patch editor/librarians (http://www.fm-alive.com) used the MS MidiMapper as the output device for the Win32 MCI sequencer (midifile player) I built into my apps. 

The sequencer output to the MIDI Mapper and the default device of the Mapper was set to the same output device as the patch editor was using.

Until Win 8 it was possible to play a midi file and edit patches over the same output device.

How does the Coolsoft MIDI mapper set the output device ?

Well, I've really no idea on how this worked at first time (till Win8).
AFAIK when you open a MIDI device it becomes "yours" until you release it (see here for a detailed explanation).
CoolSoft MIDIMapper opens its output device with a midiOutOpen() call, and this call has no option to open the device in such a "shared" mode.
The device is released as soon as CoolSoft MIDIMapper is released.

That said, I'd like to have a little bit more info.
You said you have 2 MIDI clients: Patch editor and your MIDI Player.

• are both of them configured to output to CoolSoft MIDIMapper (so is this the configuration we're talking about)?
  • have you tried to set both of them straight to Microsoft GS WaveSynth?

I'm supposing that the old MIDIMapper supported multiple input sharing, as reported in the first linked document, so the "real device" was opened only once by MS MIDIMapper.

If this is the case, I could try to implement some kind of "multiple input" feature: actually my MIDIMapper returns an error when the second client tries to open it twice.
Maybe returning OK will work (with a big fat warning to the user).
I have near-to-no experience on that, could try...

Pagine