virtual midi synth won't appear in the midi output session

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: virtual midi synth won't appear in the midi output session

Hey, just to chime in on the trouble with VMS "vanishing" on Win10, I have the same issue every once in a while. I'm not listening to MIDIs very often, but almost every time I try after a few weeks to months later, VMS is gone. Thanks to the FAQ (and your post) I looked through the registry and noticed that the entries for the VMS DLLs (in my case midi1) got overwritten at some point with the default (wdmaud.drv). So for now I've prepared a little .reg file with the correct values, should it happen again I'll try if overwriting the keys is enough to "revive" VMS.

Thanks for the great work on this, makes listening to (old and new) MIDI treasures a hundred times more pleasant than with the horrors GS Wavetable synth produces...

Another thing you could try is to change registry authorizations to the whole Drivers32 key by removing write permission (better to both Drivers32 keys, 32 and 64 bit).

After that, maybe, the software that actually resets it wil complain with an error or, sadly, will silently fail ;)
Anyway your key value should be preserved.

Hi, I run Windows 10 64-bit. And Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth version 1.17.1
And it happened for me to:  "Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth" disappear after windows update.

Before I run Midi programs, I run a registry file with text below.
And it works every time I got problem.
My filename: RestoreIfCoolsoftVirtualSynth has disappeared.reg.
Have a great day.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"midi1"="VirtualMIDISynth\\VirtualMIDISynth.dll"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midi1"="VirtualMIDISynth\\VirtualMIDISynth.dll"

Thanks for posting it, it will surely help other users with the same issue.

Just a note: if you have VMS configured on a midi slot other than midi1 (the slot is choosed during setup using the first available) you must edit the file accordingly.

Thanks, that helped, but re-installed VirtualMIDISynth to make the list repopulate - it was still stuck on Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth! Perhaps the conf file wanted an edit as well?

lmstearn wrote:
Perhaps the conf file wanted an edit as well?

It shouldn't.
Sadly there's a lot of poorly-written setup procedures out there that scramble the whole MIDI config (which, honestly speaking, is a 20 years old architecture...) just to add a new item.

Just info for Windows 10 users: If you have selected VirtualMIDISynth#N and Windows does an update/restart, they reset it to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth on reboot. Typical.

VMSynth must be re-installed every W10 restart for the VirtualMIDISynth#N to re-appear. Anyway around it at all like a Group Policy setting or such?

Actually it looks like MS are attempting to clobber it. The ports don't work. If we quit VMSynth the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth gremlin returns when VMSynth is restarted.

Actually not quite, sorry, but the wrong sound device is selected on the restart (forgot to check that). Hmmm, here's the config section:

[Advanced]
OutputDevice=3
DevicesCount=2
LangID=1033

The device order may have changed.

lmstearn wrote:
The device order may have changed.

VirtualMIDISynth saves the selected output device with its numeric ID; it's supposed that it won't change.

It should be possible to store the whole device name instead of ID, but what if we have two devices with the same name (i.e. two external USB devices?).
Don't know if Windows will rename the second one to "deviceName #2" like it does with network adapters. Will check it out...

Anonymous user

I am confident (though not certain) this is caused by the build to build upgrades of windows via windows update.
I am on the fast ring of insider builds and we get a new build every few days. Virtual synth no longer appears in the coolsoft midi mapper when it is running.

Running the virtual midi installation files fixes this - so perfectly viable workaround.

This is usualy caused by apps not following the windows vista era+ guidlines of where store registry settings and taking advantage of registry virtualization etc as such they are not migrated by the windows migration, however I have no clue what you can you do to ensure a build to build upgrade doesn't break the HKLM items. Hopefully there is something in MSDN that says how...

Pagine