[SOLVED] General MIDI 1 works, GM2 only partially working

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
[SOLVED] General MIDI 1 works, GM2 only partially working

I've been working on a soundfont for over a year, and all has been well until recently. Now, only GM1 instruments and GM2 drum presets are working, other GM2 presets don't appear to be present so the GM1 alternatives are played instead.

There is no fault with the soundfont, it loads fine in soundfont editors. I also tried an older version of it which worked fine before, and now plays GM1 and only GM2 drum presets. I have tried other soundfonts other than my own, same problem.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VMS, and tried updating from VMS 2.0.1 to 2.1 RC2 but that didn't help. I also tried removing any recent Windows Updates, and even did a system restore to a few days ago, but still the problem persits.

It can't be a bug only in VMS as everything has worked for so long, but I don't know what sort of conflict could be causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments (Only registered users)
VirtualMIDISynth_debug_report.txt

http://kiwi6.com/artists/GEN_MIDI

Re: General MIDI 1 works, GM2 only partially working

Solved the problem.

I tried VMS's MIDI File Converter, and the correct GM2 instruments were still played in the converted wave file, and as the converter uses the same engine it wasn't a VMS problem. So it had somethig to do with the media player I was using, Winamp.

It was a setting in Preferences>Plug-ins>Input>Nullsoft MIDI Player v3.55, under Device tab, and MIDI Extensions (Additional reset commands between tracks). I'd changed this option from none to GM (General MIDI) as some MIDI files have their own over the top Reverb and Chorus settings that could still carry over to another MIDI file played afterwards that had no such settings (reverb and chorus according only to the soundfont used). This stopped the settings being carried over to the next file, but was also the cause of the player only recognising GM1 instruments, and strangely only GM2 drum presets. I changed the setting to GS (Roland) and all is well again. If anything similar goes wrong again, we know where to look. ;-)

http://kiwi6.com/artists/GEN_MIDI

Re: General MIDI 1 works, GM2 only partially working

Thanks for reporting it ;)