virtual midi synth won't appear in the midi output session

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: virtual midi synth won't appear in the midi output session
ALEX BALCANQUALL wrote:
This is usualy caused by apps not following the windows vista era+ guidlines of where store registry settings and taking advantage of registry virtualization etc as such they are not migrated by the windows migration, however I have no clue what you can you do to ensure a build to build upgrade doesn't break the HKLM items. Hopefully there is something in MSDN that says how...

VirtualMIDISynth must be registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 registry keys; there's no other possible key (and it can't be registered in HKCU hive).
Sadly those keys refers to the old (but still much efficient ;)) WinMM multimedia layer that still works in Win10... I suppose they're going to dismiss it in the future.

What I think it's happening is that, after an upgrade, all of the devices are resetted (or removed) and re-installed thanks to plug&play.
But ...\Drivers32 devices are not Plug&Play so they won't survive to reset and must be manually reinstalled.

I could add a scheduled task that checks for VMS removal at each reboot and reinstalls it, but - being windows upgrades not so frequent - it seems to me like "using a sledgehammer to crack a nut".
It could become more urgent if this "reset" will happen on regular updates too and not only on upgrades; nobody reported it yet.

Agree. Would be nice to have it documented. or perhaps even a version check on Windows each run so that upon a new version a little "ding" message like so:

VMSynth detects new Window version. If midi is not functional in any way please re-install.

A re-install over_the_top is superior to the jazz of uninstall/reboot/re-install/reboot etc.

I just uninstalled, rebooted, and installed VirtualMIDISynth 2.2.1 and still it doesn't show up in Synthesia as an output device. Tried to install the MIDIMapper as well, didn't help. Checked the regedit for the keys specified in this thread, and VirtualMIDI entries are there.

Running Windows 10 Home, Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299

Ragowit wrote:
I just uninstalled, rebooted, and installed VirtualMIDISynth 2.2.1 and still it doesn't show up in Synthesia as an output device. Tried to install the MIDIMapper as well, didn't help. Checked the regedit for the keys specified in this thread, and VirtualMIDI entries are there.

This is a known issue of latest Synthesia versions, checkout this thread for further details: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/581

Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction. There some hidden settings in Synthesia if you hold your Shift key while launching it. And in this hidden settings so is there one called "Midi.UseWinRTMidi" which I disabled, and Virtual Midi is once again available in Synthesia 10.4.

Thanks for reporting it, it will help other users having the same issue.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think it would be a good idea to make VirtualMidiSynth restore the registry entries if they're not found on startup. The constant windows 10 updates are making me have to re-install this nearly every second week, sometimes more.

Just released version 2.7.0.

It adds a new feature that will check driver installation at startup and allows the user to fix it if needed.

New version can be found here.

Pagine