[Solved] VirtualMIDIsynth config tools don't work, but driver works just fine

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: VirtualMIDIsynth config tools don't work, but driver works just fine

Odd, when manually setting the correct tab in the config (that is, if I did it correctly) it now still crashes. So the only time it worked was by accessing it through the windows "update available!" message.

I have created a dump: http://devbot.enterprises/share/VirtualMIDISynth.DMP

I hope this helps resolve the issue. Thanks for your help!

Please replace your VirtualMIDISynth.exe with the attached one that contains debug info, then generate another .DMP file at crash time.

NOTE: I'll send the ZIP password through email
NOTE2: please zip the generated .DMP file to greatly reduce its size (7-Zip format .7z is the best one, but .zip is good too)

Attachments (Only registered users)
VirtualMIDISynth.zip

Now this build seems to point us into the right direction:

This appears if I open either VirtualMIDIsynth.exe (without the configurator) or just the configurator, causing both to crash. However, if I first open it without the configurator to provoke this error message and then open the configurator while the message is being displayed, the configurator actually works and does not crash!

Here's a dump of it, encrypted using the same password that you used for the debug build: http://devbot.enterprises/share/VirtualMIDISynthDump.zip

Thank you very much for your help in fixing this subtle bug.

Well, it's an unlucky combination of multiple factors:

• you have some other software on your system already using the CTRL+ALT+M shortcut
  • at start VirtualMIDISynth configurator tries to show an error message (Windows popup message) to warn you that it's not able to create the Mixer hotkey (CTRL+ALT+M)
  • your Language is set to German
  • German translation has a long translation for that error message (see err.hotkeyCreation in file 1031.lang)
  • Windows popup messages are limited to 255 chars (hard limit), VMS cannot overcome that limit
  • VirtualMIDISynth is not limiting the translation to 255 and it reads it as is
  • ---> buffer overrun ---> crash

I've already fixed VMS to clip error messages to the maximum allowed length and avoid crash.
Now I'll notify German translator about this issue and ask him to give a shorter translation.

Meanwhile your options are:

• change to another language (i.e. English) or
  • edit file lang\1031.lang and set a shorter translation to err.hotkeyCreation or
  • add a [Shortcuts] section to VirtualMIDISynth.conf and add ShowMixer=0 key to disable shortcut creation

Next version will have a fix for it.
Thanks again for your help.

Pagine