[SOLVED] VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.1 ignores change of default output device

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
[SOLVED] VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.1 ignores change of default output device

Hi,

today I was switching between two sound output devices, INTEL Display Audio (HDMI) and a  headset connected with USB, using the windows built-in sound preferences dialog (sound/playback devices).
It looks like VirtualMIDISynth ignores such a change in the default output device, because MIDI was still playing on device 1 while default output was changed to device 2 and vice versa. 
With dosbox running a game with digital sound effects and general music, the midi music never switched between the headset and the loudspeakers.
A workaround would be to change the output device in virtualMIDISynth preferences dialog from default to  either headset or Intel Audio and back again to default.

VirtualMIDISynth should not ignore the change of default output device if  output device is configured to 'default' in VirtualMIDIsynth preferences.
This also happen if VirtualMIDISynth device is free (unused) and opened by a program after default sound device was changed.

I can reproduce this on Windows 10 (1511)  and windows 7.

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.1 ignores change of default output device

The output device configuration is read at VMS start; if you configure , then the default device is detected, initialized and used till VMS is running.
The only exception is when user changes VMS configured output device (through the Options tab): in this case VMS is reinitialized and the new device is used.

This is a good suggestion but I honestly don't know how much work is needed to implement auto-detection.
It will involve registering to some system-wide event, need to investigate a bit.

As a side note, I'm working on a new feature that will allow to configure a different output device for each virtual MIDI device.
This way you could set VMS#1 to use AudioDevice#X and VMS#2 to use AudioDevice#Y.
This could complicate things a little...

Hi,

If you want to follow the default output device using Bass there is an option for it:

BASS_SetConfig(BASS_CONFIG_DEV_DEFAULT, 1) ;

Documentation:

http://www.un4seen.com/doc/#bass/BASS_CONFIG_DEV_DEFAULT.html

But be aware that the latest official bulid of Bass has a bug related to this option, so you need the latest (beta) build of bass to avoid it:

http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=17767.msg124732#msg124732

Best Regards
Falco

@falcosoft: thank you very much for your suggestion.
BASS is moving so fast that is really difficult for me to keep updated...

Anyway, a quick read of BASS documentation shown something I'm worried about:
"When the "Default" device is used, the BASS_SetVolume and BASS_GetVolume functions work a bit differently to usual; they deal with the "session" volume, which only affects the current process's output on the device, rather than the device's volume."

Need to check it out, but it seeems way easier than implementing device change detection from scratch.

Feature added to version 2.3.0.

Closing thread...