VMS 2.5.0 XG Drumkit error, This note A1 plays wrong sound

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
VMS 2.5.0 XG Drumkit error, This note A1 plays wrong sound

Let's say I have this .sf2:

Omega GM GS 2 Soundfont

With this Virtual MIDI Synth 2.5.0, recently released. I am going to use the soundfont with this system.

Now let's test the MIDI with the setup above. The software I use is MIDITester from the creator of Sekaiju, OpenMIDIProject.

Now I use XG reset. Press the XG reset button on top left.

Use any XG drum. I will use e.g. 127:0 24-ElektrKit

Press note A1, 3 Octave bellow Middle C, Before LowKickdrum, After Soft march drum, Originally Metronome Click in Standard Kit.

Okay, now there is error, where supposedly it sounds One of the electronic drum.

But what I got is other fallback of Metronome Click from Roland that used as a fallback. Note that the click sound is that Roland's instead of Analog Clap.

I think My laptop is broken. I tried different settings, playtest again, change again, all over again.

Nothing changed. Then I have an idea...

I tried to Downgrade VirtualMIDISynth to previous version, 2.4.1 and tried the same setup above and guess what?

The note A1 plays that Low Electronic KickDrum instead of Fallback Metronome Sound!!! What?!?!

That is why I have to report this bug. It is not comfortable to have an XG MIDI I enjoy, plays incorrect note sound all the time.

Is it just me:

• Computer: ASUS ROG GL503GE, Released in 2018
  • RAM: 8GB
  • CPU: Intel i7-8750H, Intel Core i7 8th gen with 6 cores

Or is this affects everyone?

Founder of Perkedel Technologies

Share and Serve for Gratis, Open Source, and FULL VERSION!!!

Re: VMS 2.5.0 XG Drumkit error, This note A1 plays wrong sound

EDIT: The Option of Use Bank 127 for XG drumkit may be Bugged!

I discovered where is that option above.

You double click the soundfont (in VMS configuration, tab Soundfont) and see that option.

Untick the option so it will not load bank 127 when XG Drumkit. Making it stay loading at 128 instead.

Is the soundfont bugged? I don't know. Maybe, it is the software bug! I mean this VMS 2.5.0 may be bugged in this section... idk.

Salve, sto usando Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth v2.5.0, ho notata che a volte sparisce l'icona per configurare VirtualMidiSynth, ho provato a lanciare una base midi con vanBasco's e ricompare il configuratore di VirtualMidiSynth tutto ok!

oggi 12-07-2018 ho rifatto la stessa operazione VirtualMidiSynth non è comparso, non era presente ne in Vanbasco's e neanche nelle icone nascoste, ho dovuto reinbstallare il Software.

Come mai sparisce, c'è una spiegazione, posso fare qualcosa per ovviare a questo inconveniente. Grazie

Distinti Saluti Cosimo Bello

P.S.: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB (64 bit) (10.0.14393)
VirtualMIDISynth: 2.5.0 (x64)
Memory (MB): total 32691, free 28379 (87%)
Available devices: 1
=== VirtualMIDISynth #1 ===

Interesse per la Crescita e lo Sviluppo Personale, per realizzare i Sogni nella Vita!

cosibello wrote:
Salve, sto usando Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth v2.5.0, ho notata che a volte sparisce l'icona per configurare VirtualMidiSynth
Non mischiamo i thread, ne apra uno nuovo dedicato al problema...

JOELwindows7 wrote:
The Option of Use Bank 127 for XG drumkit may be Bugged!

Please have a look to this thread:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/forum/thread/646

Let's go on there discussing about this possible bug.

@JOELwindows7:

The 'bug' is in the SF2 file. It has XG compatible drum set at bank 128 and GS compatible drum sets at bank 127...

So these drum banks are actually in reversed order compared to convention.Even if we do not consider 'XG compatible' sondfonts as standard this soundfont always plays wrong drumsets even on hardawre synths from Creative (SB live, Audigy, X-Fi) that are alway in GM/GS mode natively. You can also try to send a GM/GS reset instead of XG and you will hear that even with the old version of VMS (as well any other soundfont engine) will play the wrong XG drumsets in GM/GS mode with this soundfont.

@Claudio:

You were right, we did not have to wait long until such 'bug reports' arrived :). I could not believe such flawed logic soundfonts exists. This kind of drum bank arrangement does not have any sense...

Maybe the heuristic algorithm should be modified:

If lowercase(bank 127 : preset 0) contains string "standard" and lowercase(bank 127 : preset 8) contains string "room"

and none of them contains "GS"

then use the BASS_MIDI_FONT_XGDRUMS flag

falcosoft wrote:

@JOELwindows7:

The 'bug' is in the SF2 file. It has XG compatible drum set at bank 128 and GS compatible drum sets at bank 127...

Thanks alot for your information. what a shame an sf2 file has the arrangement flips. should I edit the sf2 file? hmm, it may cause compatibility I think.

falcosoft wrote:
@Claudio: You were right, we did not have to wait long until such 'bug reports' arrived :).

;-)

falcosoft wrote:
Maybe the heuristic algorithm should be modified: If lowercase(bank 127 : preset 0) contains string "standard" and lowercase(bank 127 : preset 8) contains string "room" and none of them contains "GS" then use the BASS_MIDI_FONT_XGDRUMS flag

Will change it but, being it heuristic, its mileage may vary a lot ;)