Play more than 16 MIDI Channels

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: Play more than 16 MIDI Channels

Hi,

I'm new here and very interesting in this thread. I'm using VMS for quit sometime now and realised very recentely that we could had multiple devices to increase the track limitation (by assigning different port every 16 track). I was in heaven :) .. until I wanted to export the audio using VMS converter. At first I didn't understand what was going on, but I realised that it was actually looping through the tracks and assigning the same instrument to all the channel with the same number, regardless of the MIDI port.

I'm using Cubase and I have to say that I've seached through internet everywhere I could to find an alternative to VMS (sound quality, that nice smooth perfectly tuned reverb right out of the box, ease of use, no ressources...), but I never did. And I bought some of them, was hoping for it to work as VMS was working...

So I have those midi files exported from Cubase that contains 45 tracks. Is there a way (other than exporting multiple MIDI files every 16 tracks, converting them and mixing them together) to convert this MIDI file to a proper audio file with volume, panning, expression (CC11), VMS sound quality, and more importantely, the 45 tracks assigned properly (for each track, its corresponding port and channel) ?

Thanks !

Hi,

You can try my software FSMP to do this:

http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

Currently it supports up to 64 channels/4 independent 16 channel domains. You have to use Midi port preference meta events:  0 - 3 at the beginning of your tracks to indicate which tracks belong to which port.

Since it uses the same engine as VMS (Bassmidi) it should sound the same. Note that only its internal Bassmidi output mode supports 64 channels. VSTi instruments and normal Windows midi out mode is 16 channels only.

Here's an older video how you can record (recording is real time so it's not a converter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_B9G1kawY

falcosoft wrote:

Hi,

You can try my software FSMP to do this:

http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

Currently it supports up to 64 channels/4 independent 16 channel domains. You have to use Midi port preference meta events:  0 - 3 at the beginning of your tracks to indicate which tracks belong to which port.

Since it uses the same engine as VMS (Bassmidi) it should sound the same. Note that only its internal Bassmidi output mode supports 64 channels. VSTi instruments and normal Windows midi out mode is 16 channels only.

Here's an older video how you can record (recording is real time so it's not a converter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_B9G1kawY

Thanks a lot for the fast answer. I'll try it today. How do I set meta events in Cubase ? I've never heard of it.

I've done some research and found out what was meta events, but I can't seem to find a way to do what you suggested. Neither in Cubase (I thought it was with SysEx, but it doesn't seem to be the right path) nor with any other software I could find. I don't know if there is any differences between 'Device (Port) Name' (FF 09 len text) and 'MIDI Port' (FF 21 01 pp).

I'm very new to this so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Your sofware is cool, if I can find a way to do this port assignement thingy, I would eventually be out of trouble at last...

I noticed something odd though, on one of my project, I've got 3 tracks that starts at the begining of the timeline, they play correctely in cubase but when I load the MIDI file exported from that Cubase project in your software, 2 tracks (the second and the third) remain silent until the second note is played. If I offset the first note, it works fine, but I don't have this problem on my first track. Is it an (known) issue ?

Cheers !

Arkogelul wrote:

I've done some research and found out what was meta events, but I can't seem to find a way to do what you suggested. Neither in Cubase (I thought it was with SysEx, but it doesn't seem to be the right path) nor with any other software I could find. I don't know if there is any differences between 'Device (Port) Name' (FF 09 len text) and 'MIDI Port' (FF 21 01 pp).

You have found the right one, it's the 'MIDI Port' meta event (0x21). I recommend to use a much simpler low level Midi editor called MIDIPlex ( it's free and open source):

https://github.com/stascorp/MIDIPLEX/releases

1. Open your exported Midi file in Midiplex.

2. Select your desired track.

3. Click on the first event (usually delta time : 0)

4. With the help of the 'Add Event' icon on the left side toolbar select System -> Meta Event -> Midi port.

5. Double click on the newly inserted Midi Port event and change the value part to your desired port (0 - 3). Leave the delta time value at 0.

6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 on all your tracks.

Arkogelul wrote:

I noticed something odd though, on one of my project, I've got 3 tracks that starts at the begining of the timeline, they play correctely in cubase but when I load the MIDI file exported from that Cubase project in your software, 2 tracks (the second and the third) remain silent until the second note is played. If I offset the first note, it works fine, but I don't have this problem on my first track. Is it an (known) issue ?

No, there is no such known issue. First try to play your exported midi also with other players (Van Basco, Windows Media Player etc.). This way you can make sure that the problem is with FSMP or your exported file.

If all players behave the same (even if it sounds right for you in Cubase) the problem is with the expoerted file. If only FSMP behaves differently then please upload your file somewhere so I can investigate what the problem is. You can also send me the file to the email address you can find at http://falcosoft.hu

Wow, thanks a lot :)

I can't try it, I'm not at home right now but I do have a question.

Do you think I could export a MIDI file from my template, add the meta event with midiplex and import it back to cubase and keep a small bit of the modified MIDI file at the start of my project ? Do you see what I mean ? Would the meta event be incorporated in futur exports ?

Thanks again !!

Pagine