Multi-Bank instead of Overwrite/merge

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Multi-Bank instead of Overwrite/merge

Currently loading multiple fonts causes a sort of overwrite/merge which results in a single working font.

We need to be able, alternatively, to load each font as a seperate 'Bank'  (selectable in software using midi Controller 0)

I suggest an option box on the Fonts tab, to choose "Overwrite/merge" or  "Multibank"

In Multibank mode the fonts become, from top to bottom, Bank 0,  Bank 1,  Bank2 etc.

Fonts containing more than 127 presets will occupy more than 1 Bank -  eg jeux14.sf2 - a well known pipe organ font contains 125 + 75 presets

This will be more compatible with the way Soundblaster Live loads and stores fonts, and will make organists particularly happy!

Keep up the good work.  Great stuff.

Bill S-B

Re: Multi-Bank instead of Overwrite/merge

I added Bank support to my TODO list ;)

I thought an implementation like this: each line of the soundfont list will have a box (or some kind of selector) where the user can set the bank to assign the SF file to.

So there's no need to load SFs in a particular order, each SF can be assigned to a bank, or even share the same one (being them enabled one at a time as now).

What about this?

OK, but take with fonts which have more than 128 patches, these need to occupy two consecutive banks.

Bill S-B

I think that would be a very good way to do it.   Just watch out for the fonts with more than 128 patches,  which need to occupy more than one bank!

It would be helpful to add a facility to list the patches by name and number in each bank !

Bill S-B

One more point:  Each .sf2 file already contains both preset number and bank number for every instrument (well jeux14.sf2 certainly does), so it would follow that some sort of sequential loading, based on position in the VirtualMidiSynth font list, would be advisable.  I think there would be fewer complications that way. jeux14 has its presets assigned between bank 0 (128 presets)  and bank 1 (76 presets) ,  so if loaded after an initial GM font it could move to banks 1 & 2. 

HOWEVER I see that FluidR3_GM has 128 presets assigned in bank 0, approx 28 in bank 8,  1 in bank 9 , 1 in bank 16 and 49 in bank 128 [unless I'm mistaken] 

I don't understand why it has been done like that but maybe someone out there can enlighten me !

With Soundblaster any fonts I've loaded just got their banks allocated sequentially,  but I haven't tried FluidR3_GM

Apologies if I am muddying the water.

Bill S-B

Just a  mention to second the motion for Multi-Bank.  I use Encore and would really love to be able to select coolsoft for two different banks.  As it is, selecting Coolsoft for one bank and MidiMapper or any other device has bad latency issues.  BTW, I have tried and tried to register but I never receive anything in email to confirm.  Thanks for Coolsoft!!!

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 SP 1 Build 7601

Alienware Aurora 0R4 X64-based PC

Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-390K CPU @ 3.2GHz, 3201 Mhz, 6 Cores

Encore 5 Music Software

Just curious, is this a dead issue?  I like the solution but I haven't seen any chatter or progress reports on any new features lately.  I an anxious to be able to load a different soundfont into each midi port.  I could do this when I had a Soundblaster soundcard with soundfont and bank management but nowadays I can't even find a new soundcard that supports MIDI. Is it possible?  Right now, loading Coolsoft into both port A and port B in Encore just gets crosstalk between the instrument assignments.

Encore 5 Music Software

Yes it really would be appreciated.  I'd hoped that my modest cash contribution would have raised this up the 'to do' list ;)

Just test with Jeux14.sf2, loading from Bank 1 onwards, leaving a GM font in Bank 0

PLEASE !!!!

Bill S-B

This feature is not dead.

Sadly for VMS (but luckily for me...) my real job growned a lot, bringing a lot of things to manage.
So actually my spare time is really few and its splitted between VMS2 and VMS1.

Hope to release a beta version in a short time...

You can be sure we hope your are most sucessful in whatever you do and hope you get filthy rich in the process.
I await patiently the beta version and will be happy to relay how it works with Encore.

Encore 5 Music Software

Pagine