Not all the metadata shows in Windows Explorer with PDF Extension Installed

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Not all the metadata shows in Windows Explorer with PDF Extension Installed

Hi,

I have installed the latest build 1.4.0 and there is still no data showing for some of the PDFs. What I want is to be able to view "PDF Producer" and "Application" (which are listed under Product Name and Program Name in the Windows 7 explorer) of any pdf file within Windows Explorer.

Is there a fix for this? Are there columns other than "Product Name" and "Program Name" that would reveal this info?

Thanks in advance

Bura

Re: Not all the metadata shows in Windows Explorer with PDF Extension Installed

Find property names could be a tricky task in Windows Explorer, and it could be even worst if thay were differently translated between details view columns mode and details mode.

Anyway, all the properties extracted by PDFPropertyExtension can be seen with right-click on PDF file --> properties --> details.
The corresponding Explorer columns should have the same name.

If you have a sample PDF file that is not parsed correctly by PDFPropertyExtension (but corrrectly by Adobe Reader), please attach it here (you need to register to post attachments) or post a link to it.

coolsoft wrote:
Anyway, all the properties extracted by PDFPropertyExtension can be seen with right-click on PDF file --> properties --> details.
Yes, this is something I've already checked.

coolsoft wrote:
If you have a sample PDF file that is not parsed correctly by PDFPropertyExtension (but corrrectly by Adobe Reader), please attach it here (you need to register to post attachments) or post a link to it.
I have several examples. I'm attaching two PDFs plus a screenshot so you see what I'm talking about.

Honestly, if there's no fix, I'm going to uninstall the program, since it is not completely doing what I need it to do.

Thanks

Attachments (Only registered users)
Capture.zip

The files you attached are PDF v1.6, with compressed crossreference tables and compressed object streams.

This kind of files are actually not completely supported.
I need to rewrite part of the PDF parser to read them..., this could require some time.

Stay tuned ;)

Attached here you'll find version 1.5.0-beta1.
It adds PDF 1.6 files support, together with some performance improvements.

The sample files you provided are parsed correctly on my side, please test it to confirm it works on your side too.

PdfPropertyExtension_1.5.0-beta1.zip

Hi Coolsoft,

Thank you for your prompt turn around.

Unfortuantely, it only works for PDF 1.6, which I appreciate. The thing is I'm working with other PDF formats as well like PDF 1.0, 1.1, 1.4, etc. For those, the functionality does not work. It does not display the metadata.

I'm not sure how much time you want to sepnd looking into this. I know this is a free application and you are just trying to help people out.

However, it might be a good idea to take into consideration other PDF formats. May be there's a way to incorporate all the formats in the functionality of the software?

If this is a quick fix, well and good. If not, no problem. Something to keep in mind for the future. 

Desktop.zip

Loking at your screenshot I see some image files (PNG, JPG) that are not supported (and never will be) by PDFPropertyExtension.

As for PDF files, feel free to post them to me, even privately through the contact form and I'll have a look.
I see that some of them are missing only some of the properties, not all. This could be due to:

• the property being really empty
  • PDFPropertyException not parsing it correctly

So please check them with the latest AdobeReader (File | Properties) and only send me the ones with properties shown by AdobeReader and missing in PDFPropertyException.

Hi Coolsoft,

Loking at your screenshot I see some image files (PNG, JPG) that are not supported (and never will be) by PDFPropertyExtension.

Yes, I'm assuming this is why it is named PDFPropertyExtension and not PNG or JPGPropertyExtension. I'm hoping you read my earlier response carefully because I did not mention anything about PNG or JPG. As I stated before, I'm working with other PDF Formats.

As for PDF files, feel free to post them to me, even privately through the contact form and I'll have a look.
I see that some of them are missing only some of the properties, not all. This could be due to:

• the property being really empty
  • PDFPropertyException not parsing it correctly

So please check them with the latest AdobeReader (File | Properties) and only send me the ones with properties shown by AdobeReader and missing in PDFPropertyException.

Like I had mentioned earlier, I'm checking File | Properties to make sure the field is populated. It really wouldn't make sense if I was asking you to fix something that wasn't there.

The most likely conclusion here is the PDFProperty Extension is not parsing some of the PDF Formats correctly. I would have loved to send you some more samples, however, now when I attempt to open up a folder of my pdf file I get a Visual C++ runtime error pointing to the PDFPropertyExtension_x64.dll (see attached). 

Therefore, since this is becoming more of a hassle than I anticipated, I'll uninstall the application and use a pdf metadata viewer which works with all PDF Formats.

Thanks again

c++runtimeerror.zip
Bura wrote:
I'm hoping you read my earlier response carefully because I did not mention anything about PNG or JPG. As I stated before, I'm working with other PDF Formats.

I did it, but the screenshot you sent me has big red question marks over PDF file rows AND other question marks over JPG/PNG files too.
That's why I thought you were expecting to read details for that files too.

Bura wrote:
Like I had mentioned earlier, I'm checking File | Properties to make sure the field is populated. It really wouldn't make sense if I was asking you to fix something that wasn't there.

I can't know if bug reporter is an high/mid/low level user, so I'd like to be sure he/she won't send me test files that aren't supposed to work.
I don't earn anything from this extension and I do this in my spare time, so I'd like to preserve it as much as possible...

Bura wrote:
The most likely conclusion here is the PDFProperty Extension is not parsing some of the PDF Formats correctly.

I agree.

Bura wrote:
I would have loved to send you some more samples, however, now when I attempt to open up a folder of my pdf file I get a Visual C++ runtime error pointing to the PDFPropertyExtension_x64.dll (see attached).

Attached here you'll find a testing .exe that uses the same code as the extension; this way you can test the parser code without crashing Explorer anymore.
Uninstall the extension (or simply rename PDFPropertyExtension*.dll into C:\Windows\System32 folder), extract the attached .exe to the folder that contains your PDFs and run it with PdfPropertyExtensionTest.exe *.pdf.
It will output all the parsed properties for each file and should crash on the same files where the Explorer extension crashed, but you don't need to restart Explorer anymore.

After that, please ZIP and send those crashing files to me...

PdfPropertyExtensionTest.zip

Hello, my name is Claudio and I have downloaded "PdfPropertyExtention_1.5.0-beta1.zip" that I have found up in this forum.

I installed the application and for some PDF files I  get a C++ runtime error, the same that Bura said before. I downloaded the "PdfPropertyExtensionTest.zip" and run it. Now I am attaching the file that get me the error.

I hope you can solve this problem because this is a wonderfull tool.

Thanks in advance.

Claudio

PDF_Error_File.zip

Pagine