New Options for Mixer usability and GUI

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
New Options for Mixer usability and GUI

Hi,

I think it will be the best if the Virtual Midi Mixer allows the user to change the instrument used from the soundfont. I mean, for example:

if the midifile uses the 000:021 instrument in the ch6, the mixer, with a click on the name of the instrument, will show the others instruments of the soundfont (maybe it will shows only the instruments of the same group, ie. "Strings", "Organ", etc, or maybe insruments of the same preset number, ie. shows 001:021, 008:021, 009:021 etc, so the user can choice to change instruments during play of the midi!!) like do other synth like Winlive or others... Also, it will be the best if the mixer can show not only the name of the instrument, but also the number of the "bank" and "preset" used in the midifile (eg. not only "Fingered Bass", but also the number of the bank:preset, ie. "000:033").

Both functions are presents in softwares like Winlive or others professional synth, so it will be the best if you can add :)

Thanks again for all your efforts ;)

Re: New Options for Mixer usability and GUI
Luca Tilenni wrote:
if the midifile uses the 000:021 instrument in the ch6, the mixer, with a click on the name of the instrument, will show the others instruments of the soundfont... so the user can choice to change instruments during play of the midi

This feature was already requested and I've already declined the suggestion because I still think that this action should be done at MIDI player side instead of MIDI device side.

Let me explain: I see VMS as a (virtual) MIDI output device, like an external MIDI expander but software implemented (and much more cheaper!).
It should play what's sent on its MIDI-In port with as less changes as possible.
I'd expect changes to the played MIDI, like changing programs, raising/lowering the pitch and tempo, to be done by the MIDI player.
In fact VanBasco MIDI player (still my preferred one) does most of them.

Consider that MIDI patching done at player side is way lot easier, because the player could patch the MIDI being played in advance instead of when live playing.
VMS instead should read each received MIDI message, decide if it should be patched or not and do it as faster as possible to avoid delay and latency...

Luca Tilenni wrote:
Both functions are presents in softwares like Winlive or others professional synth, so it will be the best if you can add :)

Winlive, AFAIK, is a player with integrated synth, so it confirms my thought ;)

Missed this part...

Luca Tilenni wrote:
Also, it will be the best if the mixer can show not only the name of the instrument, but also the number of the "bank" and "preset" used in the midifile (eg. not only "Fingered Bass", but also the number of the bank:preset, ie. "000:033")

This should be easy to add; still wonder how the longer text will fit into the small available mixer channel region (it requires 7+ chars to fit the additional xxx:yyy text and padding).
Will a popup/tooltip be enought for this info to be shown only to "advanced" users?

coolsoft wrote:
Winlive, AFAIK, is a player with integrated synth, so it confirms my thought ;)

You're wrong... I'm talking about WSD, better known as Winlive Synth Driver. It's a simple Synth Driver, with an integrated soundfont, and you can use with every program you want, Vanbasco's or others. 
For that I said that the Winlive can do both things ;) However if it's impossible, nothing... thanks again ;)