VirtualMIDISynth v2.4.0 & Windows XP (Virtual Machine)

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
VirtualMIDISynth v2.4.0 & Windows XP (Virtual Machine)

Hello!

I am trying to maintain compatibility with a very old MIDI notation software (called MIDISoft Recording Session v1.12) by using in a Virtual Machine (Windows XP SP3) inside VirtualBox and wanted to use VirtualMIDISynth as well, of course. The last version (2.4.0) doesn't work while the former (2.3.2) installs fine.

The problem with 2.4.0 is that when I run the configurator I get the following error message:

"The system cannot find the file specified. Error reading configuration registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth\path"

Any idea what the issue may be?

Thanks for a great piece of software!

Re: VirtualMIDISynth v2.4.0 & Windows XP (Virtual Machine)

There's a bug in 2.4.0 setup procedure that causes them to fail on x86 systems.
It was reported here (https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/post/3787#post3787) and a fix will be published soon.

As a workaround you could install a previous 2.x version (2.3.2 is ok) then upgrade to 2.4.0.

Just released version 2.4.1 that backports the setup procedure fix.
Check it out here: VirtualMIDISynth

Grazie! ;)

Hello again!

I have installed version 2.4.1 and the fix works.

Unfortunately VirtualMIDISynth doesn't seem to work well (inside a VM emulating Windows XP SP3) with that old piece of software I mentioned: MIDISoft Recording Session 1.12. I have practically put up a VM only to have that piece of software work.

It runs and works fine if I select the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth as MIDI device. The problem arises when I choose VirtualMIDISynth as MIDI device. If I do, the software loads but lags incredibly much even just when loading a MIDI file. If I wait and the file is not complex, I can push Play but the music is played at snail pace and after a short agony, the sofware either shuts itself down or hangs.

I must point out that the problem is merely a problem of compatibility between VirtualMIDISynth and this ancient but beloved piece of software (it originally run on Windows 3.1 but I never had a problem making it work with Windows 95,98 and Windows XP 32-bit without even using any compatibility mode.

I know it is lots to ask but I would appreciate enormously (I am a modest MIDI composer) if you could help me with this.

And if there is anything I can do to help investigating the issue, please let me know and I will do my best.

Well, this could really be a nightmare...

1. I run VMS in a VM too, but only to test if it runs without crashing and if its features work ok on OSes other than the one I use to develop it.
    I've never been able to play something smoothly from within the VM: fluid audio needs realtime reactivity and a VM could introduce unacceptable timing and delays.
  2. That program is probably a 16bit software (Win3.1 had a limited support for 32bits) so WindowsXP is running it in 16-to-32 compatibility mode, and all of this inside a virtualized environment.
    This could only make things worst...

I could try to investigate why it hangs at loading time (maybe it expects something from VMS), but I won't make any bet on it.

Some suggestions:

• Try to use the latest VMS 1.x version, which is lighter having a lot less features
    It is unmantained, but still available here: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth_legacy
  • Find a dedicated hardware that's able to run WinXP (should not cost too much nowadays) and test VMS on it; if it works then avoid VM at all

Hello!

Thank you very much for your answer. I could easily have another computer with Windows XP. We have already two desktops and one laptop in the family and I was trying to not have one more computer around that I would just use for one single purpose but it may have to come to that.

I will try your suggestion about using an older version of VMS and see if the unexpected happens although I have not much hope. And yes, the software is 16-bit but it did work flawlessly with VMS 1.8.x on a computer with Windows XP (I had to remove it because modern hardware no longer have drivers for it) so my guess is that 2.x.x would have worked as well. I suppose VirtualBox cannot pull miracles.

Thanks again.