No "Advanced Options" tab?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

No "Advanced Options" tab?

Running Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
There is no "Advanced Options" tab, thus stuck with even more lag than the default MIDI driver. x-x
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/465943233319403530/48458982542986...

Re: No "Advanced Options" tab?

Version 2.5.2

What you are looking for is under the normal 'Options' tab (that is available for you as can be seen on your screenshot). Set 'Additional output buffer' to 50 ms or below and your lag will be gone.

Thanks... tend to have trouble with noisy UIs like that.
...unfortunately, it seems that even setting it to 0ms has a small delay on top of having very poor quality.

Is there anything else we can adjust to remedy this?

Try removing the check on "Force summary with 8-bit samples" ... and let us know how it goes ...

Looks like that's the default. No change either way at 0ms.

Intel i5-2500K and ASUS Essence STX II (not sure if that makes a difference or not)

FluidR3-GM is undoubtly a very good soundfont; maybe someone could not like it, but it's far from "very poor quality" so I suppose there's some issue with soundcard drivers.

Please double check that all of the motherboard drivers are updated, including chipset ones.
Then double check for soundcard driver updates.

Does other players work ok? I mean, does an MP3 play with good quality?

ELRinley wrote:

Looks like that's the default. No change either way at 0ms.

Intel i5-2500K and ASUS Essence STX II (not sure if that makes a difference or not)

So what is the problem that you cannot change exactly? The latency or the quality?

If you still have quality related problems then follow what Coolsoft suggested above.

If you still have latency related problems then you should know that there is no real '0ms' latency. As VMS hints it's an 'additional latency'. Windows shared mode WASAPI subsytem has at leat a 10ms+ latency and also Bassmidi's default buffereing adds at least 5-10ms. But still VMS's latency should be much better than the default Windows MIDI driver you complained about first (100-200ms latency at least).

But for real-time jamming even VMS's latency can be disturbing. If this is the case you can try my MidiPlayer software that uses the same engine as VMS (bassmidi) but a special low latency/bufferless mode is implemented in it.  In Device settings dialog you have to set 'Output Mode' to WASAPI and 'Buffer(Latency)'  to 10ms(minimum value) to activate it. In this mode Bassmidi buffering is fully bypassed so ASIO like performance can be achieved. It's especially useful for real time jamming with Midi keyboards (Midi input can also be activated in Device Settings dialog).

http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

coolsoft wrote:

FluidR3-GM is undoubtly a very good soundfont; maybe someone could not like it, but it's far from "very poor quality" so I suppose there's some issue with soundcard drivers.

Please double check that all of the motherboard drivers are updated, including chipset ones.
Then double check for soundcard driver updates.

Does other players work ok? I mean, does an MP3 play with good quality?

(Re)installing our mainboard and Essence drivers fixed the quality problem. Thanks.

falcosoft wrote:

So what is the problem that you cannot change exactly? The latency or the quality?
If you still have quality related problems then follow what Coolsoft suggested above.
If you still have latency related problems then you should know that there is no real '0ms' latency. As VMS hints it's an 'additional latency'. Windows shared mode WASAPI subsytem has at leat a 10ms+ latency and also Bassmidi's default buffereing adds at least 5-10ms. But still VMS's latency should be much better than the default Windows MIDI driver you complained about first (100-200ms latency at least).
But for real-time jamming even VMS's latency can be disturbing. If this is the case you can try my MidiPlayer software that uses the same engine as VMS (bassmidi) but a special low latency/bufferless mode is implemented in it.  In Device settings dialog you have to set 'Output Mode' to WASAPI and 'Buffer(Latency)'  to 10ms(minimum value) to activate it. In this mode Bassmidi buffering is fully bypassed so ASIO like performance can be achieved. It's especially useful for real time jamming with Midi keyboards (Midi input can also be activated in Device Settings dialog).
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

Tried the software. TBH it's starting to look like the only option is to either find a way to Frankenstein our MIDI into ASIO (is that possible?) or just... do a bunch of hardware-hacky stuff involving getting a third DAC that doesn't connect to our headphones.

What was the problem? I use it for real time playing without problems. Anyway your conclusion is a little bit exaggerated. There's nothing 'Frankenstein' or hacky in sending Midi messages to Hosts that can use ASIO for output. Actually every DAW I know (Reaper/Cubase/Sonar) can do it.  SAVIHost can also use VSTi plugins and ASIO for output if you like more compact solutions. Of course if you think VMS has 'noisy UIs like that' you will have trouble using any of them. On PC classic desktop audio software is more versatile and require some tinkering and more than one 'Just do it' button (like modern mobile-like software usually have).

SAVIHost:
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

Some VSTi plugins you can try:
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#bassmidi_vsti
http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/

Pagine