Some questions regarding CoolSoft Virtual Midi Shynt and Midi sequencing tasks

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Some questions regarding CoolSoft Virtual Midi Shynt and Midi sequencing tasks

Hi everyone,

Actually I'm using CoolSoft as my default midi port to play Midi files in my computer, and also for a special purpose: For sequencing midi music.

I use QWS, a free and easy to use Midi sequencer, and both are working without any problems, the sound is great and clear, and the latency is almost so good like using ASIO. Yay!

However, I have a lot of soundfounts, of different kinds of instruments, and each one is working fantastic, but I also have separated soundfounts containing each one a single instrument. For example, there's one with a piano, another with strings, another with a single flute, etc, and I would like to know if it's possible to combine two or more soundfounts to integrating them in a midi file. Let's say that I want to work with some soundfounts, with separated instruments in various tracks for creating an orchestral score, or simply an acoustic guitar with a bass instrument.

I tried to put them in diferent orders, but when doing this, the sound of the first was cancelled due to the second, and I couldn't have them working at the same time to perform a mix.

And by last, I have a final question: Some soundfounts have more than a Midi Bank for storing several instruments, and this is more than having just a traditional 128 instruments pack. So, if they have this feature, we simply need to know the bank and switch on it for starting to work in a specific instrument. An example of this is the soundfount "Timbres of heaven" by Don Allen, which has various banks and instruments together.

And with the same purpose of sequencing midi files, when i try to match the program with the bank for setting up another instrument nothing happens, it simply plays an instrument with its GM program, not with the new chosen instrument.

So, could you give me the solution for both problems, please?

Thanks a lot, and regards!

If you like the music, try midi. If you don't like midi, try the music.

Re: Some questions regarding CoolSoft Virtual Midi Shynt and Midi sequencing tasks

Hi, 

For mixing different soundfonts I use Samplelord in Cubase 5. You can use Kontakt too but I had problems and crashes with SF in K.

I dont think VMS can mix different SF, maybe coming v2. But it wont be as professional as using a DAW and Vsti with SF or propietary sounds like Addictive Drums and Bbass and EQ, FX your Vsti.

As for selecting banks in GM/GS you should be able to do that on your sequencer, but you need to know the bank and preset number and insert the command before notes.

Thats the way I do it. There are zillions of different ways probably, but thats the idea for all I guess. 

Re: Some questions regarding CoolSoft Virtual Midi Shynt and Midi sequencing tasks

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

But unfortunately, I don't use this kind of DAW's programs like Cubase, Reason or Fl Studio for making Midi files, 'cause my screen reader can't handle them very well, and this is something very known for a lot of blind people.

Concerning your second suggestion, that's exactly what i do; I insert the program and the bank as they appear in "Timbres of heaven" soundfount since this has a read me file with each one of the instruments.

But I think there are some commands for sething it directly. Right? For example, I have a Midi file in which there are some efects, like reverb and chorus, and although it's not too easy to insert them in QWS, they work perfectly with the midi itself.

Then, maybe you can post some commands for changing the soundfount, perhaps this the only way where these are balid.

Best regards!

If you like the music, try midi. If you don't like midi, try the music.

QWS has smaller icons, text, information and editing than Cubase 5. I dont know the program that much to suggest how to change banks but is usually by inserting the type of command in a list editor inside your sequencer. You may want to try Voyetra Record Producer or Cubasis VST 4. Please check them in youtube and you can see for yourself they are very easy to use and easy on the eyes too. Im color blinded and have limited vision too on one eye. Vsti cannot be loaded on QWS or Voyetras, but in Cubasis and Cubase they work well. So if you have Samplelord VSTi you can load any soundfont preset and bank without inserting any special command, just pick the sound and insert in a slot. As for buying or dowloading those old or new programs you can use google or torrents. Thank you