Installation onto different drive

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Installation onto different drive

Is there a way to install CoolSoft Virtualmidisynth onto a drive other than "C"? I partitioned my new computer, both to try Windows 10 and preparatory to Installation of Windows 7 (since Windows 8 has further curbed easy midi solutions). But could not get CoolSoft to install on the "D" drive that contained Windows 10.

Re: Installation onto different drive

I suposse VMS is a driver therefore installs in your system drive, like all. Your D drive becomes C if you boot with D, for what I know.

VirtualMIDISynth must be installed in System32/SysWOW64 subfolders of your current Windows folder, that usually is C:\Windows.
To check it, type echo %SystemRoot% in a command prompt.

You said you installed Windows10 "on D: drive", but that drive is called D: when you boot from Win8.
AFAIK the drive you boot from will be C:, so if you boot Windows10 (from your 2nd drive), that drive wil be C: and Win8 drive will be D:

Unfortunately, if I have partitioned my drive to install Windows 10 on the "D" drive, along with Windows 8 or 7 on the "C" drive, the boot will retain that designation. Therefore Windows 10 will reflect that it is on D drive (along with all of the associated programs). CoolSynth will only install to C: drive. Cannot access program files on C: drive with a different operating system on D: drive, since Windows 10 will essentially write a unique registry for itself (and Coolsynth will be inextricably interweaved into the other operating system).

My primary interest was to see if CoolSynth would be able to overcome latency issues in Windows 10, as I was able to do in Win98 and Win 7 (but not Win 8). I suspect not (unless I am successful in routing midi through Coolsynth and my MBox so I can also use ASIO to avoid the dreaded MS GS Wavetablesynth. Will continue to tinker (or just give up and retain an old Windows 7 machine)

Steve Pearson wrote:
Therefore Windows 10 will reflect that it is on D drive (along with all of the associated programs)

That's fine, VMS setup installation folder is not "fixed" but obtained from the system itself.
The quickest way to find where it will be installed is:

• boot Win10
  • open a command prompt and execute the set command (you should read the list of defined environment variables)
  • read the value of SystemDrive and SystemRoot variables

They should read D: and D:\Windows respectively, so VMS setup will place its files into D:\Windows\System32 and D:\Windows\SysWOW64.

Now run VMS setup and check where the files are installed (look at the log shown).
You can right-click over the log and select "Copy details to clipboard" then paste it here.

Thank you for the information. I had one other computer I nuked in favor of Windows 10 so it would be on the C: drive so I could test. Could not get delay below the equivalent of a sixteenth note through a straight shot using Coolsynth as my midi synth, and elimitating all the extras (including buffers) in Coolsynth. Will play with it some more when some time. May try to throw in a LoopBe1, though I think Coolsynth was designed to avoid that whole layer of complexity. Will play a little bit more with my MBox and its ASIO driver as well, and see if I can get my guitar midi interface to play a bit nicer through Reason.

In any event, if try dual boot in the future (which I might on my Windows 7 machine), will try out the suggestion. Thx!