How to set as default MIDI device on Windows 7?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
How to set as default MIDI device on Windows 7?

Please explain, because not every application will let me choose the MIDI device.

Re: How to set as default MIDI device on Windows 7?

Could you please elaborate your questio a little bit?

Do you mean "why not all applications have an option to select the MIDI device" or "why VirtualMIDISynth can't be selected by some application as MIDI output"?

If your questio is the first one, maybe this blog post could give you further informations: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/blog/2013/03/what-happened-midi-mapper-wi...

Anonymous user

No, I don't care why applications don't all individually give me the choice. Being able to choose my MIDI device on Windows XP largely made that a non-issue but I can't do this on Windows 7. There is no way to choose my default MIDI device on Windows 7. So if I wanna use VirtualMIDISynth on an application that doesn't let me choose, what do I do? That link already tells me everything I already know. I'm asking for a solution.

Windows 7 has the MIDIMapper, it only misses an interface to set it.

There's a lot of programs to configure MIDIMapper and one of them is VirtualMIDISynth configurator itself.
Open VirtualMIDISynth_configurator, switch to the MIDI Mapper tab then select VirtualMIDISynth in both the combo boxes there.

Anonymous user

That seems to work after restarting only. Can't it work right away after configuration like it would on XP?

AFAIK you don't need to restart the whole system but only the MIDI application to let it use the new configured one.
Please note that some MIDI apps are composed of various pieces (application, services, ...) and all of them must be restarted.