Multiple instances

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Multiple instances

Hello,
I love your software but I have a very strange application where I need to have two audio outputs from my computer.  I need one to have all the midi channels being played and I need the other to have all but one channel being played (ie I need output 1 to be channels 1-16 and output 2 to be channels 1-5 and 7-16)

Is there either a way to configure this or, what might be easier, run two instances of Virtual MIDI Synth?

Thanks,
Aaron

Suggestion

You can run multiple VirtualMIDISynth instances only with multiple clients, i.e. VanBasco together with Windows Media Player, or if your software has multiple outputs.

MIDI-OX, a MIDI tool to reroute, patch, manage MIDI streams worths a try.
Define multiple output and try to connect an instance of VirtualMIDISynth to each of them.

Anonymous user
Thanks for getting back to me

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Actually I think I might have done a poor job at asking my question so let me try explaining in more detail.

Right now my setup is VanBasco playing to a virtual midi cable (LoopBE1) which I then bring into 2 instances of MidiOX.  There is no problem when one instance of MidiOX goes to VirtualMIDISynth and one goes to Microsoft Wavetable Synth.  The problems occur when I try to have both instacnes of MIDIOX go to VirtualMIDISynth as you suggested.

The two problems are:

1) I get an error message in my taskbar from VirtualMIDISynth saying "An error occured while creating a shortcut (drv.midi_panic): the shortcut you choosed has already been taken by another program.  Please open configurator and choose a different one."

2) I need to have control over each instance of VirtualMIDISynth.  I need the first one (running from the first instance of midiox) to output via my built in sound card and I need the second one (running from the second instance of midiox) to output on a usb sound card.  In other words I need to be able to have two different configuration files.  Is there some way to do this?

I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Aaron

Sorry

Your needings are clearer now ;)

1) That error message is due to the second instance of VMS trying to bind to the same hotkey as the first one.
Since VMS is a DLL, it can't know if the process already using the hotkey is another instance of VMS itself (the first could be vmidi.exe and the second mplayer.exe).
You can safely ignore the notice, but the hotkey will always open the first instance Mixer.

2) This is the worst part of my answer...;)
VMS is actually a single-device driver; making it a multiple device is not impossible, but requires a lot of work (think about the configurator, where each device should have its own parameters).
And some things cannot be easily implemented with the actual architecture: since VMS is a multimeda DLL driver, it is loaded into player hosting process, so it's not so easy to share data between DLL instances hosted into different EXEs.
This require an architectural change and it will happen in 2.x version; I already described it sometimes ago in a previous post.
Sadly 2.x release is far away: only a few advanced users really need it and requires a lot of (unfinanced) work; that's why I prefer to dedicate most of my limited spare-time to the existing 1.x.

Anonymous user
Thanks for the info

Thank you for the information

1) makes a lot of sense and I will not worry about it.

2) I think I understand what you are saying with problem 2. This is my last year at my university and I am working on a team for a senior engineering capstone project where we were hoping to implement the software as I described.  Would it be possible for our team to have your source code for the two versions and see if we might be able to help with development?  Of course we would be sure to keep you credited for the code and send you any progress we make.

Re: Sorry

Sorry, but I'm not going to release VirtualMIDISynth source code in the near future.
Maybe it will happen in the future, if my spare-time for the project will finish.

For your setup you could try another similar project (BASSMIDIDRV): it's a multimedia driver like VMS, without bells and whistles (Mixer, Shortcuts, Autoupdate) and also based on BASS libraries.
I don't know if it allows you to select the output device, but since VMS does you can use both your audio devices (in VMS you'll select the one not used by BASSMIDIDRV).
Connect the first output of MIDIOX to BASSMIDIDRV and the second to VMS... it worths a try ;)