Is it possible to add a feature that lets you use multiple MIDI devices at once for playback?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Is it possible to add a feature that lets you use multiple MIDI devices at once for playback?

Hi everyone,

I recently had a bit of trouble playing a MIDI file. I finally know what's causing the problem. The file won't play because multiple instruments are using the same channel at the same time. Apparently multiple devices can handle this setup while general MIDI players can't.

So I was wondering, is it possible to create a feature that allows you to fool your computer into thinking that multiple devices are hooked up to it while the speakers just play everything?

Best, Vincent

Re: Is it possible to add a feature that lets you use multiple MIDI devices at once for playback?
Vincent Fernandes wrote:
multiple instruments are using the same channel at the same time.

AFAIK this is not supported and against MIDI standard.
Don't know why some devices support it, maybe due to a bug or special/custom setup.

Vincent Fernandes wrote:
is it possible to create a feature that allows you to fool your computer into thinking that multiple devices are hooked up to it while the speakers just play everything?

Can't understand this, sorry :(
Which devices are you talking about? Virtual MIDI devices or analog devices; you mentioned "speakers" so I'm a little bit confused...

Re: Is it possible to add a feature that lets you use multiple MIDI devices at once for playback?

Well, it was due to, as you say, a custom setup. What I'm saying is, all the correct instruments are there and can be extracted, but can't be played in custom MIDI players (they can be played on a DAW) because of the channl problem. Apparently this would work as long as you had multiple (virtual) devices connected to your computer. So that's why I was wondering if it would be possible to tell your computer that multiple virtual devices were available even though only your speakers played everything. So in other words, I would need to tell my computer it had more playback outputs that it actually has.

Vincent Fernandes wrote:
tell your computer that multiple virtual devices were available even though only your speakers played everything

If you mean "more than one virtual MIDI device" then VirtualMIDISynth 2.x supports up to 4 devices, each with its own configuration.
You have to setup your DAW accordingly and split output over them.

If you instead mean more than one "analog" output device, well, I have no experience on it :(

Right. The problem is that the editors/players I use - Miditransform and Media PLayer Classic - won't allow me to use multiple devices at once.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas... :(
Hope someone could jump in here.

Hi

I have an aplication that generate music. This program can run in several instances.

When I use Windows generic synth or VMS1, all instances can use the same device and all plays together.

But the one VMS2 device can't be used by more than 1 source.

Just released 2.1-RC in its brand new thread.
Version 2.1 will have this feature but, being it a risky change, I'd like to experiment it a bit.

So let's continue there, closing this one.