Windows explorer preview player won't work

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Windows explorer preview player won't work

I wanted to say thanks for this and also tell you about an issue I ran into, as well as ask a question. First, I noticed that when I set Virtualmidisynth as my default midi device it works on everything I've tried except the preview player built into windows explorer. You know, the one in the preview pane - midi files must be associated with windows media player for this to show up. And my question: I noticed you have a load order for soundfonts. Does this mean that, say, if you have 2 soundfonts and an instrument in the last soundfont in your list is not included but it is in the first soundfont in your list, Virtualmidisynth will use the instrument from the first soundfont on your list? So you'll be using instruments from multiple soundfonts at a time? Or do soundfonts just not work like that? It'd be cool if you could mix and match soundfonts by rearranging your load order. Thanks again

I've neved tried the preview

I've neved tried the preview feature of Windows Explorer, but that's why it doesn't work: explorer.exe process is blacklisted by VirtualMIDISynth driver.

Starting from version 1.2.0 VMS has a blacklist of processes not allowed to load the MIDI driver; it was added because a lot of them were system processes and loading the driver (most of them will also open the MIDI device, still wonder why...) requires a lot of time. It also requires a lot of memory (think about soundfont preloading with a 1GB soundfont).
Finally these system processes will hold the driver in use, preventing it from being updated without a reboot.

As for your soundfont list question, you're right.
Instrument search is done from bottom to top of the list, and the first found wins.
So you should load an almost complete SF at first, followed by your preferred "patches".