Crash in DosBox

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Crash in DosBox

I installed VirtualMidiSynth with the Weeds GM3 into an XP virtual machine and it sounds great! Unfortunately, when I try to use it on that install with DosBox (to run System Shock Portable), it crashes DosBox after being in the game for about 10 seconds. I tried another soundfont but same result. It would be great to be able to use this with DosBox.

Disable the option "Increase

Open VirtualMIDISynth configurator -> Options and disable Increase process priority to REALTIME option.
You could also disable Preload the whole SoundFont into memory option on the same page to have a shorter startup time.

Please let me know if it fixes the issue...

Anonymous user
Fixed?

Sorry for the late reply--I only just now saw the message in my spam filter. I had already disabled the realtime option, and I think I tried toggling the preload as well. However, I just tried it again and it's working. The main thing that's different is that I'm away from home with the laptop and for the first time not using it with the docking station (and second screen). I'm suspicious there may be some interaction there. Thanks for responding!

Glad to hear that.

Glad to hear that.

Please consider that the option you're talking about are changed when all instances of VirtualMIDISynth are closed, so maybe you thought you changed it (but the new setting was not applied yet) then changed it back.

Some docking stations contain an USB audio card which became the default audio device when the laptop is docked.
Try to dock it and check how many devices you'll see into VirtualMIDISynth configuration on the output audio device setting.

Maybe it's a driver issue...

Anonymous user
Spoke too soon

Well, after trying again while docked it still worked, but then I realized that VirtualMIDISynth was not being loaded at all! I had set the default MIDI mapper using the VirtualMIDISynth Configurator, but it apparently ignored it. I set it again using the Windows Audio devices control panel and it still didn't stay, but then I did it one more time and it stayed. Weird. Anyway, it's still crashing about 5 seconds into gameplay. (It will happily sit on the main menu using the MIDI indefinitely, there's just something about the gameplay that causes it to crash). I tried it without either realtime or preload. Anything else I could try (or further diagnostics to help track this down)?

Sadly this is the worst

Sadly this is the worst situation for a programmer: I really can't reproduce this bug on my side and I'm out of ideas.

I've done a quick surf on SS1 website and I found this thread.
It started explaining how to install and configure BASSMIDI (which is a similar to VirtualMIDISynth), then a user talks about VirtualMIDISynth.
DosBox configuration should be similar to the proposed one, could you check it out?

Maybe you can find some VirtualMIDISynth DosBox users over there that has better ideas to try.

Please post your findings back here...

Anonymous user
No improvement

Well, that's the thread where I originally learned about VirtualMIDISynth. In my searching, I haven't found anyone else that's using VirtualMIDISynth with DosBox. I did try BASSMIDI, but it's performance was awful and it was also frequently scratchy (when it did make a sound). I tried a bunch of different settings in the DOSBox configuration, like trying to match the sample rates and changing the MPU-401 configuration from "intelligent" to "uart", but nothing fixed the crash with VirtualMIDISynth. Looks like I may be stuck with "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" for now. Thanks for your help, though.

Anonymous user
Hooray!

I just noticed the latest version and changelog. I downloaded it and tried it out and it ran without crashing. Thank you! I sent a little donation; thanks for the awesome support!

It's really appreciated,

It's really appreciated, thank you very much.