VirtualMIDISynth 2.1 - Release Candidate 2

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.1 - Release Candidate

Well, there seem to be an issue in open/close detection ;)
I've tested it on my side with VanBasco (which works with both of you) and MPC x86/x64.

Will test with PriMus which is the only one (at first sight) that has a demo/free version available.

coolsoft wrote:
Well, there seem to be an issue in open/close detection ;)

There was a bug in IPC connection between client and server: under some conditions the server wrongly thinks that the client has disconnected.

Now fixed, wait RC2 for it.
Thanks both for reporting it ;)

Just released release candidate 2 of version 2.1 (see first post).

Now device separation if fully implemented and each client (should) see its connected virtual device as if it's the only one using it.

A thing still needs to be polished:
MIDI Mixer will show < multiple devices > instead of program (instrument) names when more than one client use the same virtual device.
That's because programs could be different between MIDI clients playing on that device, so I haven't found a way to better show them.

Being multiple device usage an advanced use case, I think this is an acceptable solution.
But I'm all ears for suggestions...

(UPDATE)
Another thing to be cleaned up are statistics: actually the about dialog won't show anything, still need to find a good way to show notes/update rate/CPU for each device instance.

Hi, Chief,

Thanks for VMS 2.1 RC 2. I have it in place.

Here are the result of a test just done here with 2.1 RC2.

Two applications were involved:

• Overture 5 (the latest "gamma test" build, 5.3.0-2)

• Encore (essentially the latest commerdcial release)

Note that:

• I have VMS set to erect only one instance ("VMS #1) upon start.

• In Overture, the choice of an output MIDI device is a property of the score (in fact, of the individual staff). However, the device must be enabled on the MIDI setup dialog for it to come into use. I have VMS #1 enabled.

I also note that when Overture is started, it "connects to" (I have intentionally used an ambiguous term here as I do not understand the particulars) all "found" MIDI devcies, whether or not the device is set to "enabled".

• In Encore, for all practical purposes, the choice of an output MIDI device is a progam setting. I have the MIDI output device set to VMS #1.

The test scenario:

I start Overture. The VMS About screen shows "Overture.exe (#5429)". I leave Overture open.

I start Encore. The VMS About screen shows "Overture.exe (#5429)". I load a score into Encore and start it to play. I hear nothing.

I close Overture. The VMS About screen shows "ftee".

I start play in Encore. I hear the play OK. The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#3944)".

I start Overture. There is no change in the VMS About screen. I load into Overture a score set to use VMS #1 for all staves. I start play in Overture. I hear the play OK. The VMS About screen still shows "free". I stop the play in Overture.

I start play in Encore. The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#3944)".

I start play in Overture. I hear both scores playing.  The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#3944)".

I stop play in both applications.

I start play in Overture. I hear the play OK. The VMS About screen shows "free".

I start play in Encore. I hear both scores playing.

The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#3944)".

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks for the detailed report.

Was going to download latest Overture 5 and I've seen a new version 5.4.0 was released today, Jul 10.

Since setting up a test virtual environment could require a lot of time to me, could you please check it out and confirm if it has the same issues as previous ones?

I'm only trying to avoid a long useless installation...

Hi, Chief,

coolsoft wrote:

Thanks for the detailed report.

Was going to download latest Overture 5 and I've seen a new version 5.4.0 was released today, Jul 10.

Since setting up a test virtual environment could require a lot of time to me, could you please check it out and confirm if it has the same issues as previous ones?

I'm only trying to avoid a long useless installation...

Of course.

I will be glad to (at first) re-run the same tests under the new version of Overture (5.4.0-2).

If it seem that further tests would be useful I will be glad to run them.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Chief,

Here are the results of a test series just done here with 2.1 RC2. This time the version of Overture used is the new 5.4.0-0. I followed broadly the same test scenario as before. There were some differences in results.

There is of course the possibility that there is some error in my reporting here. I did not have the energy to run the scenario again to confirm what I initally recorded.

Two applications were involved:

• Overture 5 (the latest "gamma test" build, 5.4.0-0)

• Encore (essentially the latest commercial release)

Note that:

• I have VMS set to erect only one instance ("VMS #1) upon start.

• In Overture, the choice of an output MIDI device is a property of the score (in fact, of the individual staff). However, the device must be enabled on the MIDI setup dialog for it to come into use. I have VMS #1 enabled.

I also note that when Overture is started, it "connects to" (I have intentionally used an ambiguous term here as I do not understand the particulars) all "found" MIDI devcies, whether or not the device is set to "enabled".

• In Encore, for all practical purposes, the choice of an output MIDI device is a progam setting. I have the MIDI output device set to VMS #1.

The test scenario:

I start Overture. The VMS About screen shows "Overture.exe (#8280)". I leave Overture open.

I start Encore. The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#5792)" and "Overture 5.exe (#8280)". I load a score into Encore and start it to play. I hear the score.

I close Overture. The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#5792)".

Play continues in Encore. I hear the play OK. After play finished, the VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#5792)".

I start Overture. There is no change in the VMS About screen. I load into Overture a score set to use VMS #1 for all staves. There is no change in the VMS About screen.

I start play in Overture. I do not hear the score. I stop the play in Overture. The play in Encore had finished.

The VMS About screen shows "free".

I start play in Encore. I hear the play.The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#5792)".

I start play in Overture. I hear both scores playing.  The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#3944)".

I stop play in both applications.

I start play in Overture.I do not hear that score. The VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#3944)".

Here is a second test sequence not involving two applications being open at the same time.

I start Overture. The VMS Abut screen shows Overture 5.exe (#8408).

I load into Overture a score set to use VMS #1. I start play. I hear the score. The VMS About screen shows Overture 5.exe (#8408).

I stop play in Overture.  The VMS Abut screen shows Overture 5.exe (#8408).

I Close Overture. The VMS About screen shows "free".

I start Encore. The VMS About screen shows "free".

I load a score into Encore and commence play, I hear the play. During play, the VMS About screen shows "Encore.exe (#6800).

I stop play in Encore. The VMS About screen shows "free."

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, I would like to report an issue with 2.1rc2.

I am running 32-bit Win10 Home (with the Creator's Update).

Whenever the computer goes into sleep mode (seemingly with a program connected to it), it seems that VMS stops working. I have to quit out and restart VMS to make it work.

If you want any additional info, ask me.

Hi Claudio,

as always THANKS for you great job!! I want purpose my situation. I use Winlive 7 for my job on Win 7. Many times I need open Cubase for edit midi files and even with the new release, I have to close Winlive 7, because it use all device of VMS and there is no way to deactivete the devices inside it. So to open and work with Cubase I need close Winlive 7. I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for everything you are doing!!!

Massimo Vernucci

I'm actually on vacation, so it's hard for me to test something.
Anyway I'll ask some clarifications to get ahead whan I'll get back home.

easyaspi314 wrote:
Whenever the computer goes into sleep mode (seemingly with a program connected to it), it seems that VMS stops working. I have to quit out and restart VMS to make it work.

Can you confirm you're in sleep mode (PC almost powered off except RAM, cannot remove power/battery) and not in hybernate mode (everything saved to disk, you can safely remove power and/or battery)?

maxverri wrote:
I have to close Winlive 7, because it use all device of VMS and there is no way to deactivete the devices inside it.

2.1-RC2 is supposed to let each MIDI client program to access all of the VMS virtual devices.
Can you confirm you're using that version?
If yes, can you post the specific version numbers of Cubase and Winlive7 you're using?

Pages